jar_uk1

Jul 26, 2014
File transfer speeds through Ethernet are appalling compared to Wifi. It shows about 1.5-3.5MB via wifi but an abysmal 100-200K when it is wired! I get approximately the same speeds in OpenElec as I do in ES with filezilla on ftp.

I dont really want to take out the drive to copy everything across (apart from the fact I already had a random unmount of the hdd so i have sent in a req for a new cable).

I was hoping the wired connection would be a factor quicker than the wifi but the speeds seem consistent whether I am using Openelec or Android, with the wired connection being much much slower.

Does anyone have any experience as to why this should be? I dont think there is any parameters I can easily change on the ethernet side of things.

John R

jar_uk1

Jul 26, 2014
I am with EE, not Virgin. I can see how sometime you will get a faster wifi connection, but this is extreme and its not a speed test, these are average transfer speeds on the LAN. I am a bit stumped!

john

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
I had similar problem with T8-s Plus I had 46 Mbps wifi and 4 to 6 Mbps Ethernet. I got my box new 2 weeks ago and got tired of the circles I was going in with answers and explanations of why, maybe and how so I had the unit replaced and now it gets 109 Mbps Ethernet. I have Verizon service. now I still have one problem besides having to start all over with new unit (fun). Now I'm happier but I still need to figure how to be able to write to internal drive. I got it formatted and its seen ok but when I try to do kodi backup to it I still get a message to check if its write protected....bummer. I'm trying to see how to change permissions and also trying to figure out if and how SuperSu can help me with this problem. HELP

jar_uk1

Jul 26, 2014
I have been a littlke more scientific with this...

I connected the box to my 5ghz wifi connection (to give me the best possible speed) and set filezilla to a single concurrent transfer.

Using wifi and ES file explorer I got the following
4.0MiB/s transfer rate a 1.2Gb film took 5.5 minutes to transfer
I then disabled the wifi and plugged in the lan cable, i got
136KiB/s Transfer rate. A 1.2Gb film will apparently take 2hr 20min (ish)

I think thats a significant difference, and probably not expected, its nearly a 40x difference in speed?

John

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@B96Mike https://www.droidboxforums.com/posts/25675/
@jar_uk1 agreed that those ethernet speeds are way too low. Would it be possible to try:
1) A friend's modem/router temporarily with the DroidBOX (anything, as long as different make/model)
2) Resetting your modem (if you have any info required to re-enter afterwards)
3) Checking if your modem/router has a firmware upgrade available.
4) TEMPORARILY disconnect ALL other devices from your home network, leaving just the DroidBOX connected and run an online speed test again

jar_uk1

Jul 26, 2014
Would it be possible to try:
1) A friend's modem/router temporarily with the DroidBOX (anything, as long as different make/model)
Might be tricky but I will see what I can do. However the transfers I am doing are INSIDE the LAN, and the transfer itself doesnt go outside my network at all

2) Resetting your modem (if you have any info required to re-enter afterwards)
I will have a look at this, but if you mean a factory reset thats a PITA :)

3) Checking if your modem/router has a firmware upgrade available.
Its an EE brightbox2 I think it might update automatically, but i will check

4) TEMPORARILY disconnect ALL other devices from your home network, leaving just the DroidBOX connected and run an online speed test again
I can do that I will run a speedtest and test the transfer from the NAS box with no other devices running/attached