mike

Jul 22, 2014
Can we run any video game emulators on tje imx6 android? If so how? And what controller is used? Thanks!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Open Google's Play Store app.
Click on the search icon.
Enter the word Emulator.
Realize that there are probably hundreds there (see https://play.google.com/store/search?q=emulator&c=apps if you want to check them on your PC first).
Narrow down the search by entering the console/handheld/early computer's model name as well as emulator.

Which controller? You can use your IR remote control (not ideal...), a VIP remote control, a USB keyboard, an xBox 360 wireless controller (if you have the USB adaptor for a PC), bluetooth gamepads. Some emulators will allow you to remap buttons to more closely follow the original button layout.
[edit]
Or just a normal USB gamepad/joystick.
I've not tried my steering wheel yet, don't know how well Android devices would handle the analogue left/right of a wheel and the pedals etc

Reactions: 8bitDev

mike

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks! Has anyone else been doing this? Just curious as to what is best.
(Sorry to be posting so much, it's just all new to me)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
PLEASE DON'T APOLOGISE FOR POSTING!!

This is how a forum grows, people post their queries, and we or other forum members try to help.
I'd bump this thread in a week or two, we're still a long, long way from the size of community we had before the old forum died, so it might be worth making sure the thread gets noticed when we get new members on board.
I do remember someone posted a long helpful list of games that worked, but I don't think any/many were emulators.

The next time we get a quiet patch at work, I'll research the best emulators (any particular systems you're interested in, or just whatever is around?) I may possibly have a stack of DVDs with ROMs on them to test with. All legal backups of cartridges I owned in the 80s/90s of course. We don't condone piracy nor copyright infringement.
[/arse covering]

mrorange2015

Jul 22, 2015
Open Google's Play Store app.
Click on the search icon.
Enter the word Emulator.
Realize that there are probably hundreds there (see https://play.google.com/store/search?q=emulator&c=apps if you want to check them on your PC first).
Narrow down the search by entering the console/handheld/early computer's model name as well as emulator.

Which controller? You can use your IR remote control (not ideal...), a VIP remote control, a USB keyboard, an xBox 360 wireless controller (if you have the USB adaptor for a PC), bluetooth gamepads. Some emulators will allow you to remap buttons to more closely follow the original button layout.
[edit]
Or just a normal USB gamepad/joystick.
I've not tried my steering wheel yet, don't know how well Android devices would handle the analogue left/right of a wheel and the pedals etc

Hi,
Is this compatible with XBMC, Rom Emulator? Thank You
Oh...I have Playstation 3 Controller.
This should be compatible right?

I went to the Google Play Store, (Search, Emulator), the controller available for Playstation is
ePSXe for Android ($3.75)
Should I buy it?
Thank You

mrorange2015

Jul 22, 2015
Free options worth checking out before spending money.
Different console controllers seem to work with different models.
Not sure about Kodi/XBMC add-on ROM emulator, let us know how it goes.
Worth looking at RetroArch, and also browsing through http://www.emuparadise.me/Emulators.php

Wow I thought the Forum forgot about this post. Well I got XBMC Rom Emulator working on my laptop. I don't use it too much. I have Genesis Emulator installed.
I used the keyboard controls...Not so much fun this way.
However, I'll give it a try and keep Droidbox Forum updated! ☺