EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Some months ago I installed my T8 together with the Droidbox VIP remote. Had some problems in pairing the remote, but after posting my thread "vip remote instructions" of 14/7 everything worked fine (pairing and the learning of the ON/OFF button). Now I'm installing 2 new boxes for the kids, but I can't get the ON/OFF button to work. I'm doing exaxtly the same as I did on my first box (pairing and learning, I checked all the forum threads), but when everything is done and when I click then on the ON/OFF button, the TV screen goes off but the blue light on the box stays on (so the box is not in standby). When I use the original remote, the on/off button works on the original remote. Any advice before I'm going completely crazy ?

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
I tried again (I tought it would be the solution), but no luck. It doesn't work. I tried all the 4 keys at the bottom of the VIP, but no one works. The VIP is slightly different from the one I bought 6 months ago (it has green buttons now), a newer model I guess. I don't know if my problem has something to do with this model (wrong setting or so). What suprises me the most is, when I press the on/off button, the clock on the box goes out, the blue light on the box stays on and the TV screen goes off. So it gives indeed a signal to cut of the HDMI output (and the clock), but not the signal to put the box into standby. Of course, by pressing manually the button on the box, I can put it into standby, but it is very handy if you can close it with the remote.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I find hitting the on/off button again will normally close the box down if the blue light remains on.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
I'm getting the newer version of the VIP sent over to me to test this with, if I don't respond by Monday, please give me a gentle poke with a stick!

Ok, tnx a lot. I'm looking forward to your results. If you can get it to work, then I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully we can sort it out.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
I'm getting the newer version of the VIP sent over to me to test this with, if I don't respond by Monday, please give me a gentle poke with a stick!

You asked me to give you a gentle poke with a stick. Well, here I am. Can I have high hopes ? ;)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, T8 with latest firmware
VIP remote with DroidBOX
Using the general power button on the VIP, shutdown doesn't complete

VIP remote button learning...
I lined up the original infrared remote control for the T8 (standard buttons, no QWERTY keyboard or Air Mouse/Trackpad) and the VIP so they were facing each other.
Held down the VIP remote's "TV" button until the flashing LED on the VIP slowed down.
Next I pressed the T8's power button on the infrared remote control. Think I had to press it twice before it was noticed.
Now I press one of the buttons at the very bottom of the VIP, in this case the light green button
Left both remotes alone for a few moments, then picked up the VIP remote and pointed it at the T8 (as this is an InfraRed remote control code, so line of sight required)
Pressed the green button, and the T8 turned off properly. Pressed the green button again and the T8 turned on.

I noticed that I couldn't then assign the SAME IR code to a different coloured button. I then repeated the learning process from above to test the light grey button at the bottom of the VIP. I set it to be the Volume Up infrared code from the original remote, and this too worked OK.

Can you try the steps above please, and let me know where it differs. If you find the IR code isn't being accepted, temporarily try a different button from the IR remote. If that second function is learned correctly, it seems the Power button IR code has already been assigned to one of the programmable shortcut buttons on your VIP, it would be worth pressing them all at the T8 (again remembering line of sight/making sure the IR sensor on the front of the T8 isn't blocked).

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
I will try this in the next days (boxes are not at my place). I would be surprised if it works, because I already tried it to assign the on/off command to the bottom keys. And it didn't worked. But anyway, I will try it again and let's hope, you never know. If it doesn't work, I give you exactly all the steps I'm doing.
It is interesting to know that you cannot assign the same IR code to a different coloured button. This might be somewhere the problem. You write that you assigned the on/off to one of the bottom keys. But before you did that, do you know if the general power button worked fine ?
I really do appreciate your help. Tnx.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Sorry, missed the query in your response first time round...
How did the testing go? I'd try experimenting with getting the Volume Down button taught to the VIP (assuming you haven't tried that one already). Once we get that working, we can move onto the Power/Standby button, knowing for certain about IR codes being taught in general.
Regarding the VIP's power button at the top, no it didn't work (using 2.4Ghz rather than infrared) previously.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
I didn't had the opportunity yet to do the testing (boxes are not at my place). As soon as I have results, I will let you know. Tnx.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Sorry, missed the query in your response first time round...
How did the testing go? I'd try experimenting with getting the Volume Down button taught to the VIP (assuming you haven't tried that one already). Once we get that working, we can move onto the Power/Standby button, knowing for certain about IR codes being taught in general.
Regarding the VIP's power button at the top, no it didn't work (using 2.4Ghz rather than infrared) previously.

I finally had the opportunity to do the tests. I followed exactly your steps and it works. I managed to learn a temp key the ON/OFF function. Tnx for your assistance. Much appreciated.

Reactions: ChrisM