JJM

May 17, 2017
Have recently got a T8 mini and am very pleased with it so far. I am having problems with getting my existing VPN (Express) to work on the Libreelec side. It has been superb on the android side and my Windows 10 PC but a no go on Libreelec.

Have installed the Zomboided repos etc following much reading on the Librelec app page for VPN Manager but still no joy. After a final chat with Express I asked the question will your VPN work with VPN Mgr on Open Elec/Libreelec to which the reply was "it will not or may not work...." which was very vague to say the least. I asked for a definite yes or no and was told 'No' so being within 30 days am now awaiting a refund and am on the lookout for an alternative.

I have looked at IP Vanish but they do seem to get very mixed reviews.

Can any one advise a good VPN which WILL work on the Libreeec side without any problems?

Sorry to be so longwinded but I hope my experience with Express VPN may be of interest anyone else who has a similar experience on the Libreelc side.

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
I've been using Private Internet Access on OpenElec and then LibreElec using Zomboided for the past 12 months with no problems whatsoever. It also works flawlessly on Android and iOS too (although not with the Zomboided VPN Manager but the apps for both systems work brilliantly). Worth every single penny.

Last edited:

Lippy2016

Feb 8, 2017
hi, just to let the original poster know that I have had expressvpn working thru open vpn mgr in librelec for a long time now.

after loading zomboid, then setup vpn mgr with express details under "manual configuration" user and password, (very different from normal user/password) then copy their server ovpn files to sd card and follow vpn manager instructions to install and choose first preference server to load during boot

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisM

JJM

May 17, 2017
Many thanks for for the replies - especially from Lippy 2016. I did try the manual configuration route also but unfortunately still no joy! Anyhow I deleted everything and was going to try one more time tonight when I returned from work but alas Express are so efficient, they have alreadly refunded my money and closed my subscription as of this morning. Such a shame as the service they provide is truely exemplary to say the least but unfortunately for me not working on Libreelec was a no go. Now have got to source another VPN provider. Back to square one!

Lippy2016

Feb 8, 2017
Hi JJM, no problem helping each other. My T8 mini and IMXQPRO are both still on Jarvis for the time being using Pulse CCM builds and below is the live chat I followed to get them to work for me, if you did all that then it's a shame it didn't work for you:- (look like PIA is a good alternative from the other guys) although I agree that express customer service is the best I've come across. I use my vpn when in europe and I found that BBC and ITV were able to detect and block quite a few of the other vpn providers I tried whereas express had dedicated servers to overcome this problem.

My name is Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

serve
Mike:
Hi
Thank you for waiting. Is there anything I can help you with?

Me: trying to sign in to vpn manager on kodi openelec system by entering normal username and password but msg back says express vpn requires key certificate files unique to me. I know you sometimes use different logins for different platforms. do you have a login especially for OpenElec/LibreElec

Mike: I see that this is like a custom setup of the Kodi services. Is that correct?

Me: Yes, it's now asking me to make the.key and .crt or the ovpn file available on a usb drive. yes it's the zomboided addon for all vpn providers

Mike: You can get the .key and the .crt directly from the .ovpn file. You can view it by opening the .ovpn file using a notepad app or the Wordpad app.

Me: ok thanks. where can I find the ovpn file from your website

Mike: Are you already logged in on your online account?

Me: yes

Mike: Alright. Let's have you look for the green box that says "Set Up ExpressVPN" and kindly click it.

Me: done

Mike: This will bring you to the downloads and setup page.
Scroll down and look for "Manual Config".
Click it then look at the right side for the box that says "OpenVPN".
Click the "OpenVPN" box and below it will appear the regions of the servers.
From there, just choose the region you want and it will download the .ovpn file for you.

Me: thanks got all that - will try. many thanks for your help

Last edited: