Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Hi,

I have been meaning to sort out a vpn for ages. I was wondering do I really need to get a new router to put the vpn on or can I use my current sly router/hub?

I have at least 5 things (Droidbox/Fire Stick/Tablet/PC/plus couple of others) connected to my router so thought it better to go directly onto that rather than take out two or three subscriptions. I don't use them all at the same time but potentially there could be three or four in use at the same time.

I was looking at IPVanish as it has had some good reviews on here but happy to look at others.

Just wondering if any runs the set up how I want to and how they find it or if I need to buy a new router.

Thanks

Gonzo

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
FireStick - are you comfortable with sideloading (manually installing an app from the APK file) on there?
Tablet - which operating system (and version/build)?
PC - Windows?

In terms of which VPN company to go with, some offer 5 simultaneous connections on multiple devices, so you should be fine there. IPVanish have a great price, and if all works well it seems to be quite easy to use. If any of your devices are running Android KitKat or earlier you might want to install their app from the playstore and check you can navigate the menus OK before subscribing.

In terms of using your modem for VPN connection instead of client apps on each device, post up the model name for it and we'll see if there is anything online about VPN config files accepted (if any), or ease of manual entry.

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Sorry I have not been back inTouch. I keep getting busy with other things and forget to sort out a vpn.
Yea happy to side load etc.
I am thinking of adding a second router and running the vpn from this to connect my pc, kodi and two fire sticks onto. I have not bought that yet though was thinking of the netgear r7000
Just read a post about ipvanish being really slow have you had any issues?

Cheers

Gonzo

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Normally what location would you use? I take it that it would be a stupid idea to use UK as living in the U.K.?
Am I better off primarily going for a US link?

Thanks

Gonzo

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
ChrisM,

Just been looking around and I may get an Asus RT-ac66u as I can pick one up for £50. Just checked with dd-wrt website who support it so should be good to put IPvanish on it. Just wondering do you have a guide for setting this router up as a second router and vpn client? Most I have found online set the router up as an access point/repeater is this right then just put in the vpn settings?

Sorry to ask so many questions

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Let us know how it goes. I'd assume most of the setup would stay the same, but you'd presumably need to disable the DHCP server on one of the routers and set the modem's LAN IP address as the gateway in the 2nd router.