palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
Do I need a vpn??
ok it protects r identity
but it youre going to pay for live tv addons it defeats the point coz youre acount details will be on record it that addon was taken to court
also ive got fibre but rubbish speed 25mb/s
wont it slow it down
Thanks

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Reasons for needing a vpn:

- you are downloading torrents as opposed to streaming
- you want access to geo blocked sites

Since streaming is not illegal in the uk you cannot be taken to court so your point about details is not relevant.

25mbps is not rubbish. 2mbps which I used to get with bt is rubbish. How many mbps do you want? What would you do with all the spare megabits?

palpatine

Sep 26, 2016
but wont it reduce my 25mb/ps coz top tutorials had 250mbs and it droped to 30mbs

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
It might have some small effect but i doubt sufficient to mess up your viewing pleasure.
Choose your vpn carefully reading reviews. A paid for vpn will have better performance than a free one.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Any reduction in bandwidth/speed shouldn't be proportional to your original speed.

Imaginary example:

VPN server A
Has enough bandwidth to give each connection 27 Mbit/sec

VPN server B
Has enough bandwidth to give each connection 15 Mbit/sec

Customer 1
Has a rock solid 75Mbit/sec internet connection

Customer 2
Has 18 Mbit/sec connection

Customer 1 connects to VPN A, would get ~ 27 Mbit/sec
Customer 1 connects to VPN B, would get ~ 15 Mbit/sec

Customer 2 connects to VPN A, would get ~ 17-18 Mbit/sec
Customer 2 connects to VPN B, would get ~ 15 Mbit/sec

Also, anything over 22-25Mbit/sec will not get used with public servers and Kodi, last time I tested, see https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/why-your-droidbox-doesnt-need-more-than-a-25mbit-internet-connection/ for some results (no VPN in use at the time) to back this up.

As 4K content becomes more prevalent, we may see servers needing to pump out faster to keep up with demand or more buffering.