Scyto

Jul 6, 2016
I notice both dbmc/kodi and kodi are installed.

Why both?
What's the difference. I notice for example that Kodi seems to install AirPlay hiquality audio device by default and dbmc doesn't...

And running them both together causes issues as the web server can't start twice.

Seems odd and fragile to have both?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Dbmc is droidboxes badged version of kodi based on spmc. Spmc was built specifically for android boxes. Kodi is vanilla kodi. Some say the spmc fork works better although i have not noticed an appreciable difference. So you have a choice. If you don't like one or the other, you can not use it or uninstall.

Scyto

Jul 6, 2016
Ok will uninstall - I would still suggest that the default out of box experience should only include one. If I had wanted to mess about during first setup I would have gone bought crappy China generic. I chose droid box on its promise of being turnkey, out of the box ready and Optimized!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
You are the first one to complain on these boards out of 11,000 plus users. Some people like having 2 versions and run different kodi builds on each. Most other people pick one and use that. So no extra or additional set up needed. Just droidbox meeting user needs by providing choice.

Reactions: thegazsheard

Scyto

Jul 6, 2016
Sure so they can install it then if the like 2 or 6 or whatever versions. On a 16GB unit I should not have to remove stuff by default. Also things like this generate support call from noobs - I am ok uninstalling, I don't care, but then it doesn't meet the claimed value prop of easy, for non tech users etc.

Just guess I have v.high quality bar. (By the way I don't think it's that high). :)

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Anyone who claims android boxes are easy, for non tech users, may be overselling these boxes a little, i agree.

Scyto

Jul 6, 2016
Too true :)

To be clear this box was a cheap experiment at replacing a Logitech all-in-one Skype camera. So far the unit has exceeded expectation (and the £12 gyro remote with kbd on back is great for the price). Support on the forum has been great. Only hiccup was the promised next day delivery got screwed up (I needed to get this setup before I go home to the US).

The fact I can pick on such small issues is a testament to how great droidbox have done, when I point stuff out like this it is because (as a product manager by training) I see how just a few small changes would reduce support calls and make them sonething that would put them over the finishing line to an awesome value prop that they could use to get retail prescence - but perhaps that's unfair of me to assume they want that.....

I might even buy one of the higher models for myself via eBay for me to use in the US, I like the idea of a company that had support vs random China crap :)