fran

Jul 18, 2014
hi, for some reason i pushed the reboot button and now ive lost all my stuff.. cani get it back.?
esily .
cheers

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Was it a factory reset/wipe data button maybe?
If you purchased your X7 in the last eight or so months, then after a factory reset, if you LEAVE THE DEVICE ALONE COMPLETELY for about 20 minutes, all Android applications will be reinstalled automatically.
You'll still need to run the DroidBOX Wizard add-on in XBMC, but then you should be good.
If by any chance you did a factory reset on your device, but interrupted it afterwards before it had a chance to actually complete the reinstallation of applications, the next step is to... ... perform another factory reset!

If I've misunderstood, or you come up against a problem, please let us know exactly what you've clicked on, and what messages were displayed, and we'll work it out with you. There are always methods to get everything back - it might involve waiting a day or two, but nothing is lost forever on your device, don't worry!

davedd

Sep 23, 2014
Hi, only had my box for a week and lost some apps and others no longer work after trying to move stuff to an sd card. Example- showbox works up to choosing download or watch then jumps straight back to selection screen.
Seems I would have nothing to lose by trying this.
Are the settings reset for the apps too? Should I remove the 32 gb card before reset?
Dave

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Which device do you own @davedd ? Factory reset (especially via the recovery menu) should be fine, unless you have an M8 box, as the firmware initially in place doesn't automatically reinstall apps.
Re the SD card, I've never removed mine, and not had it wiped. If you do a factory reset via the Android settings interface, I believe the SD card it refers to there is the internal directory SD card, see the fourth paragraph (approx) onwards at https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/the-advert-stated-4-or-8-16-gb-rom-i-see-a-lot-less-why/ for the background on SDCard vs extSDCard

davedd

Sep 23, 2014
Hi, box is CS918 K-R42. does that make it an X7? reset seems to have brought back the apps ok but I still have problems with showbox and some of the xbmc addons. Show box keeps jumping straight to full screen adverts when movies are selected then back to selection screen when I close the ad. This is my 1st android device so it may be I am expecting too much or perhaps going about things the wrong way.
Can you point me to any help on how to redirect movie download path to ext sd. with any of the preloaded apps.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re Show Box. Did you get a notification about a new version being available when you started this application? If so, did you click Remind Me Later or the other "yes, update please" type button?

I've not upgraded yet (I tend to wait until a new version of something has a killer feature I can't "live" without, or an older version no longer functions correctly), but with my installation of Show Time, I see a small advert at the bottom centre of the screen, and when I click on a film, I get the next screen where it asks if I want Low/Medium/High quality, to download or watch it now, and whether to use the app's internal player. Is it at this point you're presented with a full screen advert, or not until you've actually clicked the Watch Now button?

I think I know the problem. I didn't see the full screen advert until after the film had comeplted. This makes me think Show Box believes you've watched the movie (because a video playing app isn't working) and shows the advert instantly.

1) If you've currently got Use Internal Player ticked, untick it. When you click Watch Now, select MX Player and Always.

2) More likely, I think you've not got that option ticked, and you've accidentally clicked on the wrong video player app in the past, then clicked on ALWAYS, instead of JUST ONCE.
To fix this, install Default App Manager Lite - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appiator.defaultappmanager&hl=en
You could just go directly to the mis-behaving Video Player's entry in the Apps entry of Androids settings, but I'm assuming you don't know which one has been selected.
Anyway, open the Default App Manager Lite program, scroll down to Video, click on it, then select the Clear Default option. This will then take you directly to the app that was accidentally set as a default. Scroll down, click the Clear Defaults button.
Reboot for good measure (probably not needed, but never does any harm).
Restart Show Box, and this time when you click watch now, I would select MX Player. For now, select Just Once. When you know Show Box is working happily, unless you intend to use other video playing apps, select Always the next time.

3) Small possibility that your internet isn't working (on the DroidBOX device). This may cause the video player to quit as it can't find the film, then the advert is shown. If steps 1) and 2) didn't help, make sure you can visit a website in the Android browser.

Re telling an XBMC add-on to download films to the external SD card, before you click on the add-on's name, highlight it and press the MENU or C (if you have a QWERTY keyboard on your remote control) button. This will bring up a window, select the last option (add-on settings??). If you can download films, instead of streaming them, there should be an option on of the tabs where you can select where to save files to.

I've had a look through Show Time, and there doesn't seem to be an option area within the GUI. It looks as though you need to wait for a download to complete, then move the file by hand. It stores Films/TV Series in the /sdcard/show_box folder.
So navigate there (ES File Explorer is my preferred app for this sort of thing), click on the sdcard link on the left (if you can't see a sdcard link on the left, either update ES File Explorer ( see Google's Play Store - Signing In And Auto-Updates ) , or go to the root ( / ) and then mnt/sdcard)
Once there, long click on the downloaded movie/TV episode, and select Cut. Now click on the external_sd link on the left hand side (or navigate to /mnt/external_sd or your preferred location), and once in the directory you want to store videos in, click the paste button at the bottom.

Last edited:

davedd

Sep 23, 2014
Don't upgrade your show box ap.
Show box problem is with latest update only. Reset and declined update and it all works fine again. Defaults were set to mx player for video and streamed video on later version when it was misbehaving. As well as the ad problem, download folder would show progress stopped at around 350-400meg and refusing to restart - when checking file using file manager, download was complete but had a .temp file extension. Copy to sd and rename and hey presto. Is there a thread for apps with known problems? might be useful to spread the word.
Will play with xbmc later but thanks for all your help on this.
Dave

Reactions: ChrisM