Tanner65

Sep 18, 2016
Canada
After the hard drive was recognized Windows 10 anniversary is next. Unfortunately following the directions caused a reset/repair error to appear. Where is the reset /restore switch for this unit. There is not enough memory on this unit unless windows can be moved to the had I installed. Install asks for 20 gb minimum...after commitment unless you are to leave the USB stick always. I am computer and electronic literate yet this confuses me.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/windows-10-anniversary-update-not-installing/ has the procedure (manual update rather than using Windows Update) required for 32Gb devices, need around 8Gb free to complete it.

Afterwards, you can clean up the left over files...
Windows Explorer
Right click the C: drive and select properties
Select Disk Clean-up
Select the Clean Up System Files button in the new Window that appears.
Tick the entries with largest space taken up, allow the process to complete.

Tanner65

Sep 18, 2016
Canada
I think the issue for me that even following the directions as written....download takes longer than stated, and when it asks for a boot order change; you have to try other combinations as the win button is wrong. The unit is stock, I have added nothing. I have a new usb stick, so I guess I will start over and *hopefully* worse case, I will be able to restore back to stock. Cross fingers the process takes less than a day.

Last edited:

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
i installed the update on my T11 yesterday following the advice given by DroidBOX. Once installed and Disk clean up done, i managed to recover 11gb of my C: drive. The only issue i had was that i lost the windows validation key and had to run the "win10_onekeyactive" files to regenerate the key. Now all seams fine.

On the T11, press F2 on boot to get into restore mode if needed by the way.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Not certain what the changing of boot order is for, if following the steps from that post? If I've missed a step from the post, please do let me know and I'll update.
The actual processing and installation of the Update did take quite a while, think I left one or two to run over night.

Harri

Dec 11, 2016
Resurrecting thread as I now have the same problems:

Situation:
T11 arrived last week. I've not installed any software, downloaded any files, created any documents etc and only used Edge (with browser set to clear everything on exit), and a few portableapps on USB stick. I've left the DBX as user. So I've had almost no disk/storage impact on the unit.

Unable to select which updates I wanted, Windows has been trying to update as fast as it can and I now have less than 3GB left with Updates Failing due to the lack of space. This link pasted from above post is broken...oops https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/windows-10-anniversary-update-not-installing/

Q1. Is it possible to swap or upgrade the 32GB for 64GB ? I now realize that 32GB is not even enough for Windows.
Q2. Can you restore the posting referred to in that broken link ?

Intention:
I realized that 32GB was going to be tight for windows (anything after XP) and so planned to use use hard drive, sd card or usb sticks. I generally use portableapps as much as possible to minimize footprint on windows.

However the BIOS doesn't seem to allow boot from anything other than the 32GB SSD?
Q3. Is it possible to boot from SD Card, USB, or SATA HD?

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Hi,

You can put a 2.5" HDD in it up to 2 tb. Then in settings change the downloads of apps, files, documents to your D: drive.

Also if you go into My Computer, and select c: right click and choose properties. Then select disc clean up. Once it initially scans, choose Clean System Files. I recovered about 8 Gb that way.

I'm now running with the Anniversary update installed, all updates and a 2 Tb HDD for storage, apps, downloads etc.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Also, use this to get the Anniversary update on:

https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/windows-10-anniversary-update-not-installing/ has the procedure (manual update rather than using Windows Update) required for 32Gb devices, need around 8Gb free to complete it. <br /><br />Afterwards, you can clean up the left over files...<br />Windows Explorer<br />Right click the C: drive and select properties<br />Select Disk Clean-up<br />Select the Clean Up System Files button in the new Window that appears.<br />Tick the entries with largest space taken up, allow the process to complete.

Harri

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks Fritz, that was quick.

I'll try the Clean System Files for the short term solution. Did you see the previous posting? Did it go further e.g. suggest deleting windows.old and selective folders created by the updates ? I used to do this on xp, win7 systems to keep them thinner.

What HDD did you go for ? I was thinking of a smaller SSD like a 120 - 240 GB Samsung/SanDisk/Crucial ?

Longer term, I'd still like Droidbox's feedback on those initial questions

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Yes, delete previous versions of Windows and package files. Just select every thing in system cleanup.

I bought a 2tb Seagate HDD of eBay for about £85.00

Its not an SSD Drive, so it's cheaper. However a 1 tb, will set you back about £45.00

If you want Solid State Drive, this will be considerably more.

As for DroidBOX feed back. They will say the same as I got my info primarily from them via this blog. Good luck.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Just a side note. Installation of the Anniversary update takes ages, be patient. But I must say my T11 is great. It can do almost every thing that a larger PC can do.

Stick to light games, not memory intensive if you use them. I mostly play the Microsoft Solitaire suit app, kodi, Downloads etc and YouTube or Browser stuff. The only thing besides the disk space issue is memory. But for a Cheep solution to use on your TV, it's great.

Tanner65

Sep 18, 2016
Canada
I had a lot of issues loading the anniversary update. Be patient and follow each step, should files go missing (as they did in my case) the support desk was aces in solving the problems. I, too, have added an external hard drive for later, the actual install of the anniversary update will be around 5 gb, so the 32 gb memory should be fine for everyday home theatre use. As Fritz stated, once the download is done (mine was finished in under 3 hours) delete all the crap.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Just as an update, if you uninstall everything possible, run system cleanup / remove previous installation files etc, you can install the 'Creators' update from late last year. Once done repeat the clean up and start installing all your other programs from fresh.

Takes along time, but does work.

Look at this thread iv'e made of a similar situation for details. But if you keeping it, choose the option to save your data and files, or back up your system drivers first.

https://droidboxforums.com/threads/factory-reset-if-possible.12327/

Reactions: angela