Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I have WSS 2.1. running successfully on machines running android 4.4.2 and android 5.
On my t8 mini running android 6, WSS 2.1. crashes, complaining about an ad blocker running.
I have not consciously installed an ad blocker.
There was a similar post earlier this year where Dbx confirmed there were no ad blockers installed on their boxes.

However, I am running 2 modded apks which do suppress ads. Is it possible this mod is carrying over to WSS?
It doesn't on my other boxes.
I've tried clearing WSS data and cache btw.
Help gratefully received.

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi. Just tried WSS 2.1 on my parents T8 mini, tried a few streams and all were working.
They also have modded apks on there device.
Have you tried the fix for apps not working properly on Android 6.

Settings > More settings > Apps > WSS 2.1 > select force stop > select storage and clear data > go back one step and select App Permissions and allow all permissions for the app.

Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Sadly that did not work. It has all the permissions it needs.
I've written to them asking for help.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There are some "modded" versions of wss around but i don't trust the sites too much. May try one using malwarebytes to check it out.
I wish i knew what was causing this error.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
So is this the answer?

Although Droidbox have said in the past that their boxes are not loaded with any adblockers, I had a look in the t8 mini root file etc/hosts with a html viewer.

There it is - an adblocker whose express purpose is:

"Ad server list for use with hosts files to block ads"

It looks like this has been added to the t8 mini custom ROM (the source is xda developers btw).

I suspect this is what is blocking apps like WSS and possibly others.

Can @8bitDev or @Dave C provide any insight?

I assume this is missing from other boxes as WSS works ok?

There is an older thread where someone with an imxqpro complained about the same issue https://droidboxforums.com/threads/adblocker.9199/#post-35024
@ChrisM said there that he did not believe droidbox firmware was loaded with an adblocker.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
That's what I was told. Not sure if the firmware developers mentioned about their use of the hosts file, thanks for spotting it. They may have been asked if their was an ad blocking app installed, and said no as this obviously isn't an app, without thinking about it having the same end effect.

If there are entries in the hosts file that are causing problems, can you try this:

ES File Explorer
Turn on the "Root Explorer" entry in the Settings section on the left
Backup the hosts file to another location, then edit the file so it only has something like the following left in it:
upload_2017-11-21_13-31-31.png

Never checked, I'm assuming a reboot is required, unless the data within the hosts file isn't cached.
Obviously feel free to use your preferred file manager and text editor, just make sure the hosts file is saved with the localhost being the only entry

Reactions: angela and Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks Chris. Those "empty" settings are the ones on my t8splus v1 and work ok with WSS so will try it out.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
*******Success*******

It is truly a massive file to edit with thousands upon thousands of lines (frequent saving essential).
But at the end of it, following a reboot, WSS now works.

Thanks Chris for giving me the confidence to mess around with root files!

Backed up the original just in case.

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
*******Success*******

It is truly a massive file to edit with thousands upon thousands of lines (frequent saving essential).
But at the end of it, following a reboot, WSS now works.

Thanks Chris for giving me the confidence to mess around with root files!

Backed up the original just in case.

Hi guys,

Will look into this and we will remove all links that might block WSS. Will include fix in the next OTA

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
This was a problem on the t8mini. Solution given above is to edit the hosts file.