phil49

Jan 31, 2016
Hi
I've recently updated my M8N box to the latest firmware namely (Kodi) Droidplayer Quadcore M8N – v2.4.2. Set up wifi everything ok time updates to correct time.
If and when I power down my box and later power up It has the wrong time displayed .Wifi is ok and when I check settings in DATE and TIME the box is ticked to get time from internet and there is a random time displayed on line below of maybe 1970
I have tried switching the box for time from internet on and off to no avail.
This may also explain why some people in other emails cannot connect to playstore as google needs current time to connect.
I wonder if you have come across this problem and is there a solution
Regards

phil49

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Have you spoken to the droidplayer people if they supplied your box or the firmware? Or checked on their forum?

phil49

Jan 31, 2016
Thanks for your reply Nigelar yest I have tried Clock sync app and I suspect that the date being set at 1970 it cannot find the NTP server so I am back to square 1

phil49

Jan 31, 2016
Yes I have root and have tried that app but unfortunately my isp provider has blocked ntp ports. I have found a work around with this app.http://apk-dl.com/smart-time-sync.If you don't have ntp access it reverts to http and works for me. Thanks for your reply and I hope this app will help anybody that can't get their box to sync normally

Reactions: ChrisM

cleo50

Feb 16, 2016
Having same problem with Date & Time re-setting itself to 1970 after every boot-up. I clicked on the link in phil49's post but got "The Page you are looking for cannot be found". This is a new box, I only got it for Christmas, so I'm surprised such a new box is giving problems.
If I do a Factory Reset, I guess I lose everything and have to start from scratch, with no guarantee it will even fix the problem. What causes it to set to 1970 and does anyone have a permanent fix please?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
What box do you have cleo50?
Have you tried any of the other solutions mentioned above?
Re "Phil's link" you need to ensure you edit the url to remove the ".If"

cleo50

Feb 16, 2016
DroidBox T8 Nigelar. Thanks for the tip on Phil's link. Uninstalled PlayStore from Apps. Checked if I could re-install from Local, Device, preinstall but it's not there.
Do you know if a Factory Reset does fix it for sure before I resort to that?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I didn't know you could uninstall play store!
Have you checked the box in settings - date and time to get your time from the Internet?
Have you modified your box in any way e.g. Done a firmware update?
Certainly if it is a new droid box, live support should be able to help, drop them a line or start a live chat session during working hours. Contact details are on the main droid box page.

cleo50

Feb 16, 2016
No modifications made to the box, definitely not a firmware update. Not sure what you mean by "box in settings". I've manually updated the Date&Time in the "More Settings" menu and ensured the Regional settings are right under "International" setting in Kodi itself. I'll try the lads in live support when they come online this morning. Thank you.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
It will be interesting for other users and myself what solution was provided by live support so can you post back here please?
Also intrigued to know how you managed to uninstall Google play and how it was restored.

Thanks

Nige

cleo50

Feb 16, 2016
Live support just told me to do everything I'd already tried, manually re-setting Date&Time etc. I asked what caused the issue and if a Factory Reset would fix it and they didn't answer either question, just said Factory Reset sounded like a good suggestion and to give that a go. I'll post back and let you know if that does fix it. Fingers crossed!
I believe I went to More Settings, Apps and there were two options, Force Stop and Uninstall and I selected Uninstall as I never use Google Play.
I was trying to free up storage space by removing apps that I don't use.

Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks cleo50. I checked Google play on my t8 and it has an "uninstall updates" which uninstalls a latest update in case it caused an issue but no uninstall. Generally Google apps are built into the android footprint and cannot easily be uninstalled.

When I said "box in settings", I meant, go into more settings, then system, then date and time, then check that the "automatic date and time" box which syncs system time with the Internet is ticked. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Hope all goes well with your factory reset.

Reactions: David Savage

phil49

Jan 31, 2016
After a lot of research on the net it seems that this date 1970 is an android bug that hasn't been fixed as far as I can ascertain. My box always boots to 1970 even though I have done a factory reset.Google "Smart time sync" and download the apk to a memory stick then install it on your box. After powering up your box click on the app then on sync and that should set the box's time to the correct time.
If anybody comes up with a better solution I would be delighted to hear from them

Reactions: Nigelar

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for getting back phil49. I'm sure your solution will be of interest to other users with this problem.
Its weird that this problem is intermittent across different machines and seems to be permanent until a non firmware fix is applied.

cleo50

Feb 16, 2016
My sister gave me her T8 DroidBox with the 1970 bug to do a factory reset or download "Smart time Sync" app to see if either would fix the bug. You won't believe this, but when I power her box up in my home, the date & time are correct. I've powered it on and off a couple of times now and each time it comes on it syncs to the correct Date & Time. I did absolutely nothing to the box other than turn it on and off connected to my internet. Any ideas why that would be the case?

Reactions: David Savage