Simon79

Dec 26, 2014
Hi

Trying to complete the firmware update for my x7 ultimate and have just hooked it up to my PC whilst holding the recovery button down. However my PC doesn't recognise it and I get the Message "USB device not recognised". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Ok mate I have done this a few years ago with a non droidbox cs918 device and took me a few attempts to get it recognised. Have you used rkbatchtool before on the pc your using? Just thinking maybe something going wrong as did for me on connection if the drivers installed ok.

Simon79

Dec 26, 2014
Hi mate I did have rkbatchtool on my laptop quite while ago but it was uninstalled when I did a factory reset a couple of years ago. I've noticed that the main firmware file says that the image is corrupted if you double click it. I'm running windows 10 could this be the problem?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Yes that could be the problem, try and get a link out of forum for live chat with the guys from db tomorrow and am sure they will shed some light on it Simon.

Simon79

Dec 26, 2014
Thanks for that. Might sound a bit thick but how do I get a live chat off forum going?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Double clicking the FW file in Windows will result in an error message, as the file is not the standard IMG file it expects (like you might use for burning a CD/DVD).
With regard to the device not being recognized, you could try swapping USB sockets (if you can see the labels, see if you were using a USB3.0 socket before, and if so, switch to a USB2 socket if your PC has one.
If you pop into Windows' Device Manager when the X7 is connected in bootloader mode (so that button is held down), you can manually force Windows to use the downloaded driver. If this swaps it from an "Unknown device" (or similar) to something mentioning RockChip, you should be good to go.

Simon79

Dec 26, 2014
Hi guys thanks for all the support. David from Droidbox support emailed me and suggested i try running the driver software in compatibility mode for windows 7, this didn't do anything but when i changed it to compatibility for windows 8 the drivers installed and my laptop now recognizes the x7 however the RK batchtool still doesn't so I'm still unable to upgrade the firmware. Maybe it's time to invest in a new box.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Does it recognize the box as a storage device? If so, experiment some more with connecting/disconnecting a few times with that button on the bottom held down. If the device isn't in bootloader mode when connected to your PC, RK batchtool won't have anything to write to.