Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
I purchased a Droidbox X7 and after power up and plugin to the TV there was an on-screen error about "process not responding" which I was able to bypass .. however when I went into settings on either of the 2 launchers .. the WiFi was disabled and even when i checked the box and waited for over 30 minutes if failed to enable ..
Several reboots later it was obvious that the wifi was not going to respond so I attempted a reset using the hard reset button on the base .. unplugging, hold in reset, reattach power and restart however the one thing that appears is an image with "no command" instead of the reset screen.
Can you advise on how to restore and enable the Wifi as the device is presently useless.
Droidbox X7 Model AC8350 & Serial: BX09130902149

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
OK, so I received a reply from my email to [email protected] which is good.

I was given a link to download the IMG file which I managed to finally install from a PC using a microUSB cable. However the WiFi problem remains even after restoring the device.

In the settings the WiFi will simply NOT enable .. check the box and after a few seconds it unchecks itself and remains stubbornly inactive. On the droidbox launcher settings screen there is a dialog to Add a WiFi network but this does not actually work and I cannot save any networks (I assume it is because the wifi itself is disabled).

I've seen some references to a wpa_supplicant.conf file on other postings here and I've found such a file in the /etc/wifi/ folder however I tried renaming it and rebooting the device but this had no effect. I did not want to delete it without some indication that this will resolve the problem from other users.

Can anyone out there advise on how to fix this? A Droidbox without WiFi is fairly crippled as I have no ethernet connection near my TV!!

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
You obviously need your WiFi problem sorting out which I don't think I could help with as I just enabled in android settings and typed in the key on the bottom of my router. However if you use something like TP LINK you can plug one into your router and the other into your box which will supply Ethernet via your house electrics. A little more expence but a more stable signal.

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Graham

The problem is the WiFi will not enable and I would expect that a working wifi chip is part of the core device functionality.

I'm not going to buy additional devices to get an ethernet port beside my TV when I've a perfectly good strong WiFi signal .. just the device is at fault.

Hopefully droidbox will respond with a solution or a replacement device if the wifi chip is faulty (which may be the case).

Graham

Jul 26, 2014
I'm sure droidbox will sort it but I have found with WiFi if someone uses a mobile in the room it can effect signal quality which I don't get with Ethernet. But you are better waiting until your WiFi is working as you may not have a problem. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Graham, I agree ... Ethernet is preferable but unfortunately not an option for me .. and I can use my iPad etc. at present while watching TV and have a great signal so if Droidbox will resolve the broken WiFi I'm sure the device will be great.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The WPA_supplicant fix is for iMX6 devices, or at least AmLogic ones (iMX6, M6, M8, EM8, T8) AFAIK (the X7, X7 Ultimate and Q7 devices are all RockChip based).
We'll get WiFi working on your device, if it isn't possible via software, then it will be replaced.

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Thanks guys, I figured the wpa_supplicant.conf file might not be the issue ... but it was worth a check.
Looking forward to your response

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Any further updates on this? I'd like to have a working Droidbox but it is stuck at present with no WiFi and therefore no functionality!

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Mick - thanks for the tip but they guys in Droidbox clearly indicated above that the wpa_supplicant.conf file does not apply to Rockchip based devices .. that is a fix for AmLogic chips. I've already returned the device for repair/replacement and they should get it today. I'm hoping for a quick fix/repair and return of the unit.

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
It looks like DroidBOX are sending me a replacement unit .. so we will see when it arrives. I'd be interested to know if the device I received originally simply had a faulty wifi chip or something .. I'll post an update here if/when I get a response.

Pissed off

Nov 7, 2014
Ireland
Third time lucky .. after the second device I was sent had a faulty power supply .. and I had to return it again .. the third device has arrived and is WORKING !!

Reactions: ChrisM

andymc_24

Jun 13, 2015
Just bought a couple of boxes myself and on one unit I have the exact same problem. No wifi or bluetooth. However I can connect via ethernet (but is no good for the room I want it in) I have not checked the other boxes yet.

Anything I can do to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andymc_24

Jun 13, 2015
Thanks SilentlyScreaming, I have contacted Droidbox already and its currently being sorted :) many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Scott

Oct 12, 2015
I have just purchased a x7 box and when setting it up i came across the same problem how do i go about getting it fixed