Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
This firmware is for the X96 MAX 2/16Gb and 4/32Gb models only. Do not attempt to use it on any other device. They are not for ANY other model, even if it has a similar name, they will not work and could damage your machine. Do not flash these files if you do not know which device you have.

You can download the firmware for the 2/16Gb and 4/32Gb model files which have both the OTA and firmware image inside:

X96 MAX 2/16Gb Model: https://mega.nz/#!LCpQhYqS!csg1K7k8TdIH1D5AgY9Ll-mR7-EoLt_tfRAN_YQBWrs
X96 MAX 4/32Gb Model: https://mega.nz/#!3XxG1Syb!rJaSD60wzNS4zc6KqilJHLoHlxhqoTao5F-z0bdwpxo

Extract the download and you will see two folders. SDCARD for method 1, and USB for method 2 below

Method 1: OTA zip update via Micro SD Card.

• Copy the ZIP file from the SDCARD folder to a Micro SD card. Do not decompress it, you should only have one file to copy to a SD memory card
  • Turn your DroidBOX off and safely eject the card from your PC/Mac/other device, and insert the card in the SD card slot
  • You will find the reset switch inside the A/V port on the device. Using a matchstick, cocktail stick, paper clip etc. Gently insert it into the hole and you will press a button. Keep the button held down.
  • While holding the button down, insert the power cable to switch it on. DO NOT LET GO OF THE BUTTON YET.
  • Once you see the Recovery menu on screen, release the button.
  • Click on the "Apply Update from EXT" option.
  • This time, click the "Update from sdcard" entry.
  • Click on the .zip file you copied
  • This step is optional but recommended: Once the process completes, select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option. Confirm you are sure
  • Once this process completes, select the Reboot System Now option

Method 2: Firmware Reflash with PC and USB cable

You will need a Male to Male USB cable, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAVIT-Cable-Type-Male-Black/dp/B00UF8SEA0/

Inside the USB folder should be an .img file, this is the firmware image. You should not click on it to open or extract, we'll use it later. If you see an error message on your PC about the image being corrupt, please close the program, the file is needed for use on the DroidBOX, rather than the PC.

Download https://mega.nz/#!rP5WXYCA!HY89Hm2N1-hWnuQzZUOHY33XZUrWarjAWCQhP-c_8wE and open it. You will be asked if you want to install Amlogic's USB Burning tool - you do.

The first time you open it, click the second menu and select English if it is not in English.

Click on the "File" menu and click "Import image". Navigate to your Downloads folder and select the IMG file from the USB folder.

You'll need to wait a moment whilst it analyses the file. You should find it automatically ticks the "Erase Flash" and "Erase Bootloader" boxes for you. If "Overwrite Key" is ticked, please remove the tick.

Now click the "Start" button.

Disconnect all cables and peripherals from your device. Connect the USB cable to the blue USB 3.0 socket on the left side of the device. Then connect it to your PC and let Windows automatically install the drivers it needs.

Afterwards, the software will begin flashing the firmware. If it shows a red error message; remove the USB cable from the device, wait a few seconds, then reconnect it. You may need to do this a few times. If after say 4 times, there may be a more serious error with the device, please contact DroidBOX support.

Once the process is complete and reported as successful, you can click the "Stop" button, and disconnect the USB cable. Reconnect the HDMI and power cable. The first time you boot the device, it will take a while longer than usual while it is completing the first time setup, this is normal. Once you can see the launcher's homescreen, please leave the device alone for 10 minutes whilst it re-installs the applications.

Applications continue to install in the background and if interrupted will not resume the next time you boot up.

Last edited:

steelion

Dec 23, 2018
Can I use it on x96 max purchased directly from China? If yes, can I use it on x96 max 4/64Gb? If not, will you make firmware for 4/64Gb? Cheers!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
This firmware is for machines supplied by Droidbox.
Note the warning in the announcement.

"They are not for ANY other model, even if it has a similar name, they will not work and could damage your machine. Do not flash these files if you do not know which device you have."

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Can I use it on x96 max purchased directly from China? If yes, can I use it on x96 max 4/64Gb? If not, will you make firmware for 4/64Gb? Cheers!

We can not guarantee it will work on your device if it was not purchased from us. You can install it at your own risk.

Tedpoley

Dec 26, 2018

seanbell84

Dec 26, 2018
Hi Dave C,

Do you have an official version for the X96 MAX 4/64Gb Model that I purchased from yourselves last week?
If not should I use one of the other ones or will one be available at some point?

Cheers

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Hi Dave C,

Do you have an official version for the X96 MAX 4/64Gb Model that I purchased from yourselves last week?
If not should I use one of the other ones or will one be available at some point?

Cheers

You should be able to use the 4/32Gb firmware as the only difference is the storage size. If you have any issues please let us know.

Cha_Lee_Boy

Jan 3, 2019
Apparently a firmware update was released for this unit during the past week, will the OTA pick this up?

sipi

Mar 2, 2019
Hi Dave C,
Thanks for your description.
I tried to use this ROM through USB cable from USB Burning tool to fix SuperSU issue on my device, but it stuck at 3% DOWNLOADING UBOOT.
Do you have any idea to fix or it is completely bricked? :(

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
First check that you are installing the correct firmware as there are different firmware for the two models that we sell. But, if it is not flashing the firmware via USB cable then it may be bricked. If you purchased it from us, then please contact us [email protected] with your order number or full name and postcode where the order was sent to, and we can look into it.

mrahan007

Apr 3, 2019
Hi Dave C
I have x96 max 4/64 version. I downloaded version for 4/32 from link above . When I try to start install te system I have one problem.
Copy the ZIP file from the SDCARD folder to a Micro SD card - Done. The oryginal file name: u211-ota-root.zip
And... The problem is that it can not see the file, when I'm trying to go to the next step.

When I try install via udisk I have another problem.

Attachments

• 20190405_182335.jpg
    20190405_182335.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 666
Last edited:

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Hi Dave C
I have x96 max 4/64 version. I downloaded version for 4/32 from link above . When I try to start install te system I have one problem.
Copy the ZIP file from the SDCARD folder to a Micro SD card - Done. The oryginal file name: u211-ota-root.zip
And... The problem is that it can not see the file, when I'm trying to go to the next step.

When I try install via udisk I have another problem.

According to the error your firmware is already on a newer version. Regarding not being able to see the SD Card, try formatting it to FAT32.

turijano

Apr 23, 2019
Help please Dave
Usb burning tool I'm kicking this error. I do not have that blue.How to recover it via USB cable and put it on the firmware

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 523

turijano

Apr 23, 2019
Try installing it from the SD Card.

Which firmware to put it on the Sd card over the Burn maker, and when I connect it to the TV whether it needs some kind of buttons to start the installation

Neniu

May 22, 2019
Hi everyone!
I have that device - X96 Max S905x2 4/64Gb. Also I have a subscription to local iTV provider. Hovewer it run fine on smartphone, but not on TV Box. I have a reason to think that is due to root on X96. I have tryed many firmwares for this TV Box. Unfortunatelly they all was rooted. Is it possible to find enywere unrooted firmware for my device?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
I do not know of any that are unrooted. It could be because the device is rooted, it may also be the app checks for HDMI output.

Jal Frezi

Sep 25, 2019
Hi. I purchased the X96 Max/64gb box from you 0n the 30/11/2018 and applied an OTA update on first boot. How can I check if the update listed above has been applied? Thanks

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
You can run the OTA update check again and it will tell you if there is an update available. The firmwares available in the first post are the original factory shipped firmware so you wont need it.