pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Xbmc keeps launching for the first time, 20th time so far.
It does not matter if I boot down or switch to standby.
The crazy thing is it does not loose its connections in file explorer only its links in Video/pictures/music I have links to.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
When you next reboot/power up your device, please leave at the launcher's homescreen for 10 minutes. Now launch XBMC and, if necessary, re-add/configure. Now exit XBMC as normal (via the Power/Standby button on XBMC's homescreen, next to the star icon), reboot your device, and wait 10 minutes again. Open XBMC.
If everything is back to normal, the next time you reboot your device, wait 8 minutes before launching XBMC. Repeat this until you find how many minutes you have to wait for XBMC to behave itself properly. It sounds like the userdata folder isn't available immediately upon powering up. Hopefully it'll only be a minute or two you need to wait for XBMC's proper files to be accessible, but start off with a high amount of minutes so you know for certain that this is the issue.

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Wow thanks, we have to boot down at the moment because Ukraine is switching off electricity at night so no power to anything, Ill try this next time I boot up

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I feel your pain! When we first moved to Kazakhstan, there were blackouts (only an hour or so) fairly regularly in the summer. I ended up buying a very OTT UPS (OTT for the demands of my PC at least), then wiring in a six-way adapter so I could keep my modem, external hard drives, USB hubs etc powered for 5-10 minutes whilst I did a graceful shutdown. I even plugged in my hair clippers once - I was 1/3 of the way through trimming when the power went out, and was meeting friends in 1/2 an hour :)
Anyway, let us know how it goes, when you get a moment.

Reactions: pibitvillage

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Yes I thought of the same thing but cannot find such things here that are within a normal price range, still looking though lol

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Ok tried boot up this morning, left it for 1 1/2 hrs booted up xbmc and it started with first bootup.
Again its lost all its play lists in Video/files/add videos.
In add videos it had lost all its new file share.

It does the same in SPMC

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, time to try a factory reset, sorry about this.
https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/how-to-access-your-droidboxs-recovery-menu/ for the process of accessing the recovery menu, then select Wipe data/Factory reset. Once the process completes, reboot, get to the launcher homescreen and leave it 20 minutes. See if XBMC wants to behave then. If not, we'll try a firmware flash (assuming you're happy to do so). Failing that, time to return for a repair/replacement.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Apparently RockChip based Android devices do respond to a Android settings factory reset, I've not had any luck on a couple of phones and AMLogic based devices.

Have faith. See it as a learning experience. Until you've had to rip apart a USB cable, wire up resistors and solder them, and then had a 2 year old try to grab it mid fastboot procedure, you've not come across flashing/recovery menu fear ;)

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Must admit, Ive done the usb cable ripping apart and fixing with a new mini plug and to my suprise it worked lol
Ut I didnt have any luck with a hard reset once with a stupid modem with the 30 30 30, it never booted again, pity it is or was a good modem.
I can build pcs from scratch, I can sort xp machines out and sort of get linux pcs working from corruption etc, but hard reset on an android.
?................. lol

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I had my Amazon Kindle Fire2 in my hands for all of 8 days befrore I bricked it. Fastboot cable, some lovely people hosting images, and quite a few ADB commands, and it was alive again. I'd been moving from the Android fork Fire OS to vanilla Android, decided to wipe all the partitions and specify everything properly. I forgot the Kindle doesn't have an SD card. The images to flash were on the internal memory, which I had wiped. A little bit too much New Year cheer, and I ended up with a paperweight temporarily :-/

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
In terms of home-bodged cables, I think my null modem cable was the best. When we first moved over here in 2006, you couldn't get a lot of cables easily here. I had some wiring left over from a different project, but no 9pin serial plugs I could terminate with. Our Chinese satellite box could be updated to accidentally descramble premium channels. I was not going to give in... I ended up using something like some spare Serial to PS/2 and then PS/2 to USB converters, soldering on the wires, hiding them under the carpet, and the same again in reverse (with a few pin swaps) to hook the cable up to the satellite box. It worked :)
Hmm, probably not USB converters there, it'd have been easier to solder into a PS/2 port. Anyway, eventually I grabbed some real cables on a trip back home to Britain one Christmas. 12 more weeks of Kazakhstan, then back to Britain for good. I think my Amazon account is going to hit our bank account hard ;)

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Have tried all sorts of combinations of switch off and reboot now.
Tried soft reset in the menu, all that does is .........it will now reboot, the blue light stays on for about 2 minutes after rebooting then the light vanishes and nothing, switch the blue button after 4 mins and it reboots to where I swit hed off.
Nothing happened its still the same.
Tried turning off, unplugging and finger on recovery button (on the base) plugging back in and switching back on the blue button, waiting for 5 mins then with finger on the recovery switch still switching the blue button on waiting 5 more mins nothing happens so switch back on normally and it reboots to the old settings again.
So in other words NOTHING HAPPENS.

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Ok unwanted ....wanted update.
Errrrrm bit confused, it looks like it was xbmc causing the problems with the factory reset (dunno really) the spmc I installed needed uninstalling and reinstalling again.
I uninstalled xbmc and it suddenly went back to a android screen not the droidbox screen if you know what I am talking about (just like the tablet screen on my samsung) and I have been placing the icons on the screen for the last 10 mins.
O far so good.
Can anyone explain this,
Until I uninstalled xbmc everything was the same as normal, uninstal it and it reverted back to factory.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I can't think of a flow of logic that would lead to that outcome. TBH I tend to always either use the Android style default launcher, or a 3rd party one. I like the look of some of our custom launchers, but I use the devices for work 95% of the time, so having the same UI helps speed up the process.

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Yer me too, I like what I got now, just happy it did something it was supposed to lol even in a round about way. Thanks for being there for us :cool: