andy murdoch

Dec 5, 2014
Stafford
Hi,

As of Christmas, I am now the proud owner of an X7 Ultimate and I love it.

My only issue so far is the location of the XBMC library. My Music and Film library is quite extensive and my droidbox ran out of space before the library could download all the files.

Is there a way to tell XBMC to store the library data on an external HDD?

I know the quick alternative would be to buy myself a large SD Card.

Any thoughts?

Andy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've got a fair sized library on my main TV's DroidBOX, and less storage space. Is it possible you've got space used up by files you don't necessarily need internally stored? Downloads folders, pictures/MP3/videos transferred via USB or downloaded?
If not, and reclaiming space isn't an option (check out CCleaner and ZDBox from the Play Store if you want to see what can be automatically cleaned, check the thread here - http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/tweaking-apps.102/ ), then you could try redirecting a folder to an external folder on a USB connected device. FAT/FAT32 partition might be simplest. I think there was some discussion on using folder redirect apps/scripts here on the forum.

[edit]
Here we go - http://www.droidboxforums.com/posts/2369
Install the KK SD Card patch app first - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geeksoft.extcardpatch&hl=en Assuming you're on a Android 4.4.x based firmware (edit 2 Xmas X7 means you are). Then try one of the apps I mentioned in the post linked to above.

Tony

Jul 15, 2014
another solution is to keep your files on your PC/Laptop and then stream them to your X7 via UPnP.. assuming your PC / Laptop is on the same network its just a simple matter of selecting add file from video/audio/pic menu and pointing XBMC to your UPnP device ( PC/Laptop) .. don't forget to enable sharing on PC/Laptop. I have over 2TB of movies/music etc so that's how I access them via XBMC.. there are also tons of UPnP players that are native Android if you don't want to use XBMC.
a very simple explanation of UPnP and how it works.. just substitute X7 for PS3.

Reactions: ChrisM

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
However, I think the size issue is because of all the metadata downloaded for all the Public Domain/Creative Commons-Licensed audio and video material he owns and has added to his XBMC's library. The files themselves can be huge anywhere, but I think the internal storage is being used up because of cover art, posters, info about the film/episode/album etc.

Tony

Jul 15, 2014
Wow... if its just the metadata taking up all the space I envy his collection :) either way I still recommend the UPnP route for anyone that has a large multimedia collection as its so much easier to manage and frees up the X7 for more important
ninja.png
purposes

;)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You could either envy his collection, or consider how little time there might be to watch some of them! (I only tend to keep anything that there is a reasonable chance I want to watch again).

Tony

Jul 15, 2014
am very much the magpie when it comes to music.. movies n stuff, not too bothered about but a click of the random button on media monkey can make your day lol

andy murdoch

Dec 5, 2014
Stafford
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'll try a few things at the weekend.

My media collection is quite large and it's fair to say I don't get to listen to my music collection as much as I would like :(

I did a massive cd-ripping exercise over the Christmas break - I found stuff I forgot I had!

As for movies and TV, my wife hates Sci-fi and so hates star trek, most of my films, Firefly, Walking Dead etc etc..... so not ideal :(

anyway, I'll feed back my endeavours.

edit - FYI - I have 4.2 TB of Movies, TV and Music

Andy

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
1.7Tb left at this end - I burned all the media to disc that I wasn't likely to watch again and gave the (public domain obviously) videos to my friends before I moved countries. You're supposed to get your CDs and DVDs checked when leaving Kazakhstan, otherwise Customs can fine you. Memory cards, hard drives, digital devices don't cause an issue, but due to an antiquated (relatively speaking!) law, CD/DVD/BluRay discs can be a pain in the bottom.

Tony

Jul 15, 2014
just checked and I got almost 3.5tb mostly music of the napster variety lol.. anyways Andy I would Def recommend going down the NAS route I am using a WD my cloud network drive 3tb with the added bonus of being able to daisy chain USB HDD went with my cloud as u can access drive over the net so not restricted to home use only also has native android app.. anyways some thing to consider

Reactions: ChrisM

andy murdoch

Dec 5, 2014
Stafford
Tony, will do - I, like you am very reluctant to get rid of old material and tend to collect a lot!

NAS option has crossed my mind in the past.

Cheers

Andy