brucey

Jun 25, 2016
Hi,

I recently purchased a CS918 Android TV Box mainly for Kodi but after a bit of experimentation, it occurred to me that I may be able to use it to connect my Xbox One to the internet.

It's a little bit complicated so here goes:

My internet is provided through a hotspot called BT Openzone. I have an app on my computer which automatically connects me (BT WIFI) rather than going to a landing page in the internet browser and typing in my account details. Up to now, I use my laptop to create a wifi access point and my xbox connects directly to that. So in summary, my old system works as follows:

Internet > BT Openzone portal > laptop > wifi access hub > xbox

With my new android box, there is a BT WIFI app supported on Android so I would like to try and make the following happen:

Internet > BT Openzone portal > Android box > MAGIC??? > Xbox

Ideally, I wanted to do it with a wired connection, both my xbox and android have ethernet but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to be working. I haven't got a USB to ethernet adaptor or I'd try using the tethering option but before I go buy one, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

I have a very limited understanding of network configuration and there doesn't seem to be an app out there for this.

Bruce

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Is this a DroidBOX device? I'll move this into General Discussion if not.

Anyway, first thing is if you're connecting two devices with a network cable, and neither device is network hardware (modem, access point, router etc) then you'll need to specify the IP address, subnet, gateway etc manully. No DHCP server means addresses won't be assigned automatically.

If you have an existing network around the house, then use a different range entirely. Example: home network already using 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.x . In this case, the xBox and Android device should have something like 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.20 set as their IP addresses. Subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0 normally. Gateway IP address would be set on your xBox as the Android device's IP address. Can't recall if you'll need to set DNS for this to work, but if so something like 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 (openDNS) or Google's.

However, you'll need to have both the Ethernet and WiFi enabled on your Android device. I've seen that occur with some devices, others switch off the WiFi if you turn on Ethernet and vice versa, so probably worth seeing if you can turn them both on at the same time.