chuckens

Oct 28, 2014
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to run XBMC from USB without installing on Android?

I'm going on holidays and where I'm staying they have an Android box in the apartment. I don't want to install XBMC on there unit but would like to be able to bring USB and run it from that.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Windows-style portable apps aren't a big thing on Android. I understand what you mean, but I think the simplest solution would be to take a Gotham/Helix build with you, maybe an equivalent SPMC APK as well (see below), and the repo files for those add-ons you use the most.
On last day, you uninstall your app, and check via ES File Explorer/File Manager HD/a decent file explorer into the Android/data/ folder and below for any folders with xbmc, kodi or spmc in them. If they exist and have files altered when you were there, consider removing it. Check which builds they had installed first, as you want to leave their data alone.
The only way to try and force Android to use external devices for data would involve rooting their device, and installing apps, which counteracts the whole clearing up of their device from your data routine.
If, when installing an APK for Kodi, you get told it can't be done, or do you want to update, then cancel the install, and try an SPMC equivalent Gotham or Helix build instead. SPMC's data folder will normally be completely different from native XBMC/Kodi builds, and won't intefere with the app, or cause data to be moved, as can happen with Frodo or Gotham to Helix build updates.

Reactions: chuckens