Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Hi all again,
My box T8 Mini and Im only using and ever have only used the OE side.
Just updated and Im running the Librelec side now and all running nice.

My question is - I dont want my box to automatic update on the android side to Kodi 17 for the time being.
If I have automatic updates ON will it eventually update - OR is it down to Droidbox pushing the update?
Either way - I dont want it - Can someone please tell me how to turn it off from Android?
I have been in playstore and its asking me to log in!! - is this right or am I totally in the wrong area.

Thanks everyone
Dave

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I think it depends where you get Kodi from or if you have a Google play account.

If you have a Google play account and have general auto updating switched on, then you will get an updated version of Kodi the next time you "update all " from the Google play store (bear in mind, auto updating does not truly work on the firmware included on many android boxes running android 5+). You could switch auto update off and it will then allow you to update each app manually. You can exclude Kodi if you want.

If you have installed from the official Kodi tv site, then I think they give you the option of updating (at least they used to).

You will only get an update from Droidbox if a new version is included in a firmware release or you choose to update from the Droidbox market.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Thanks Nigelar for that. Sorry if I seem a bit thick here but!!!!
Ive never logged into Google Play store ever on this device - and Kodi Jarvis 16.1 was already installed and I love it.
Will I be able to log into it and then disable Auto Update regarding kodi and also apps/addons as I never use android side so disabling would be OK for me until I am happt to update to 17 in the future. IF YES - How do I find the place to go??
Im always in Openelec side and I have auto up[date ON for all my addons and OE update which is now LE
Hope this makes sense.
Dave

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Ok Dave.
First things, to use Google play store you need a Google account. If you don't have one, when you open Google play for the first time, it will invite you to set one up. Its useful and also allows you to sync chrome settings like bookmarks across various mobile devices like bookmarks etc. Also YouTube syncs so something you view on a mobile or another Droidbox appears in your Droidbox you tube search results/recommendations.
What will then happen is that any app on the android side you have on your machine will "link" to the Google play store version. Google play will know if an app needs updating and alert you (most of the apps on your android side will probably be in this state if you have never run this).
I referred to auto updating in my earlier note. you can set this to "on" in Google play settings after you've logged in/registered.
But here's the funny thing. In the Good Old Days of android 4, auto updating really, did work and the Droidbox polled Google play for any available updates and automatically installed them (if you had auto update on). The only exception was apps,that needed user permission to install some feature.
Under Android 5+ this function appears to have been disabled by the firmware, so although auto update can be "on" in settings, it doesn't actually work. So to update any android app from Google play store, you have to open Google play and check for available updates - which are flagged. You can either choose to update all, or individual Apps. In the case of Kodi 17, you could choose not to install that.

On the openelec/Librelec side you would most likely need a firmware update from Droidbox to update the version of Kodi. This has been my experience of the past 12 months.

As a matter of interest, although I use Kodi for live sport, I find that I frequently use YouTube, Spotify and BBC iplayer on the android side, even more so in fact. So don't write off android. It's great for viewing YouTube music videos on the large screen tv for example.

Last edited:

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Nigelar - Thank you so much for taking your time to explain. I get it now. I will log in later tonight and take a look.
Ill even give youtube a go!!!!!

Ive updated in indroid OTA update centre to the latest Droidbox updates (Firmware) thats when it all changed to Librelec so I am happy with how its running - fast.
Happy with Jarvis 16.1 and want to keep with that for the time being.
Thank you again
Dave