Busby

Jan 23, 2015
I'm in Britain and want to use BBC iPlayer but when I try to install it I get that its not available in my country. Is a VPN installed by default, and if so, can I turn it off while I watch something?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
No, the only thing I can think of is that you might have the Hola app running?

I've uploaded the current APK for the iPlayer app here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtj0ko3jl8vrija/bbc.iplayer.android-4510002.apk?dl=0
Download that to your DroidBOX and run it. If it complains about security settings, click the button and allow installation from Unknown Sources.

Out of interest, what happens if you visit http://WhatIsMyIP.com in the Browser or Chrome app on your DroidBOX - does it show you with a UK IP address? If it doesn't visit the same site on your PC or other device connected to the same network as your DroidBOX.

Busby

Jan 23, 2015
No, the only thing I can think of is that you might have the Hola app running?

I've uploaded the current APK for the iPlayer app here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtj0ko3jl8vrija/bbc.iplayer.android-4510002.apk?dl=0
Download that to your DroidBOX and run it. If it complains about security settings, click the button and allow installation from Unknown Sources.

Out of interest, what happens if you visit http://WhatIsMyIP.com in the Browser or Chrome app on your DroidBOX - does it show you with a UK IP address? If it doesn't visit the same site on your PC or other device connected to the same network as your DroidBOX.

Thanks for the reply.

Hola is not running..

I installed the latest iPlayer from the link you gave me, then I tried to view live TV and it told me there was an important update for BBC media player and it returns me to the App store, which informs me it's not available in my country. In the settings it tells me my location is London.

If I try to download any content it informs me that downloads are only available over Wi-Fi and there is no network available.

Chrome tells me I'm in California and the normal browser says I'm in the Isle of Man.

Hope this helps..

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If Chrome visiting www.whatismyip.com shows up as Californian, then we've got something strange going on, especially if Hola isn't running. Head to Android's Settings, then click on Apps (if you can't see an apps entry, click on the last tab and then the More/Advanced Settings button). Scroll through the list, and google the name of any app you don't know the function of. Any related to either changing your apparent country, speeding up internet viewing or VPNs, open them from the list of installed apps accessible from your launcher's homescreen. Check they have any fucntions turned off/disabled.

Regarding BBC's media player, sorry about that, I forgot it was necessary for iPlayer to function. I've uploaded that APK and the iPlayer Radio app (just in case you want that as well), links here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5edwc65cp0pa1s/air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer.apk?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/33s9atdy8l3ah8e/uk.co.bbc.android.iplayerradio-14.apk?dl=0

Can you check under Android's Settings - Date & Time - that the timezone is correct? I'm not at all certain the wrong timezone there would generate false location in the Play Store, but worth a quick check.

If you're still unable to access iPlayer, we need to consider looking at your modem/router and a factory reset on the DroidBOX. Did you get a chance to visit whatismyip.com from another device (PC, tablet/phone on WiFi) on the same network as your DroidBOX?

Busby

Jan 23, 2015
Many thanks for the quick reply.

All the settings and apps are as they were when the box was shipped, so I assume there is probably an addon installed in Chrome which hides my true location, however, the built-in Android browser reports my correct location, as do the browsers on my other computers. I have also checked Crome on my Laptop which reports the correct IP, and I have checked the location in the settings on my T8 which says London - near enough I guess! I have also stopped a couple of installed programmes, which appear to be VPNs. The only programme I have installed outside XBMC is Teamviewer.

When I check the network settings, my box can't see my Wi-Fi network, even though the router is close by, and my phone shows a full signal. The result of that is iPlayer won't stream anything as it will only work on Wi-Fi, thinking the only other connection would be 3G. On my iPhone there is a setting to select iTunes to use 3G or not, but I've not been able to find any network settings on the Android version.

I have done the updates using the links above as when I attempted to access the Google store using the Android browser, the App store tells me my hardware is not compatible.

I have checked the time and date setting and everything is in order.

I'm really thinking we are running out of options for iPlayer to be honest and it just looks like its not going to work.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've just tried it on mine with LAN (I've got all the DroidBOX models on WiFi normally), I'd forgotten about iPlayer being WiFi only, sorry. Let's see if we can get WiFi working, if we can then iPlayer will hopefully work.
First, please install WiFi Analyzer - http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/wifi-analyzer.83/ on your T8. Open it up, and check which networks it can see. Try temporarily moving the T8 and its aerial around a little bit. If you manage to see your network, but find it is somehow suffering from interference from other WiFi networks, log into your modem/router and alter the WiFi settings to use a different channel. If you're not sure how to do this, let me know the make/model of the modem/router and we can look it up for you. (Two devices in a similar location can react to other WiFi networks being on the same channel in different ways).
If that doesn't help, you could try fooling iPlayer into thinking your ethernet cable wasn't being used, see http://droidboxforums.com/threads/ethernet-versus-wifi-android-apps.220/ for a previous discussion.
One other quick thought, you could try the (unofficial) iPlayer add-on for XBMC, rather than the native Android app. See https://superrepo.org/kodi/addon/plugin.video.iplayer/ . Let us know if you need a hand installing it.
[edit]
Thought I was going mad! I knew we installed an iPlayer add-on in XBMC, but I couldn't find it, so included that last link. It helps if you look for BBC iPlayer in the Media Portal menu in XBMC (I'd been looking for just iPlayer!)

Last edited:

Busby

Jan 23, 2015
Many thanks for the extensive reply..

I installed Wi-Fi Analyzer and it doesn't see my network, the same as Wi-Fi Fix App., and I have checked the signal on my Phone which indicates full strength.

I am not in a densely populated area and cannot see any other Wi-Fi networks on any device in any room.

I have tried installing the fake Wi-Fi App and I get an error message advising me that it failed to get root access.

The iPlayer App is already installed in XBMC [as part of your bundle?] and works fine, so its probably best I use that.

Looking at the T8 configuration it appears you can only have Wi-Fi or LAN as when I tick one the other unticks.

Another quick couple of questions; the first I suppose is a stupid one really, why do you prefer to use XBMC now that Kodi has been around for a while - is it that some Apps don't work with it? Second, If I update your App., I understand everything in XBMC is wiped back to fresh install - does that mean all my settings, download destination, add-ons, preferences are lost as that's not an ideal scenario for me.

Reactions: Timebandit

Joe reid

Jan 24, 2015
Many thanks for the extensive reply..

I installed Wi-Fi Analyzer and it doesn't see my network, the same as Wi-Fi Fix App., and I have checked the signal on my Phone which indicates full strength.

I am not in a densely populated area and cannot see any other Wi-Fi networks on any device in any room.

I have tried installing the fake Wi-Fi App and I get an error message advising me that it failed to get root access.

The iPlayer App is already installed in XBMC [as part of your bundle?] and works fine, so its probably best I use that.

Looking at the T8 configuration it appears you can only have Wi-Fi or LAN as when I tick one the other unticks.

Another quick couple of questions; the first I suppose is a stupid one really, why do you prefer to use XBMC now that Kodi has been around for a while - is it that some Apps don't work with it? Second, If I update your App., I understand everything in XBMC is wiped back to fresh install - does that mean all my settings, download destination, add-ons, preferences are lost as that's not an ideal scenario for me.
I can answer the last question , it does I did the wizard update yesterday .

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Busby - Root access, please e-mail me ( [email protected] and put FAO Chris in the subject) and I'll send the rooting instructions.
Re XBMC not yet Kodi is because a few add-ons (last I checked) hadn't been updated for Kodi, and our own DroidBOX Wizard needs an update. This is being written (may have finished, not checked since the weekend) and needs testing, once in place, we can start officially supporting Kodi (I'm happy to help with Kodi self-installs, but official DroidBOX policy is Gotham until Wizard is sorted).
Re Clearing XBMC's data (one of the steps for running the Wizard) and losing settings. Yes you will. You can backup the specific folders you want to and restore them later, or TRY not clearing XBMC's data first. If it results in a non-functioning XBMC you'll need to clear the data though.