Wolfie

May 29, 2015
Apologies if I'm being really thick, but when playing a lot of movies, there's a thick black line at the bottom of the screen, not at the very bottom as you can see the bottom of the picture but about 1cm up from the bottom - it's about an inch thick and runs the width of the screen - what is it and how do I get rid of it, is it a picture size thing?

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
Oh and also, sometimes the picture is way over to the right leaving half the screen black - not always, just sometimes

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Go out of xbmc (Kodi) and go to setting on the main menu, now I think its the second one across, and then look for picture position and adjust it to your tv.
Also when watching a movie, press the ok on your remote so you get the bottom menu up, now scroll along to the movie reel icon. Here go right to the bottom and there should be some video calibration here to just move things to fit your screen.
Hope this helps you.

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
Many thanks David. I just thought it was odd because when I watch documentaries or anything else basically, the screen is a perfect fit - it's just on movies that I get the problem. I did try the calibration in the main menu already by the way.

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
As you can see from this poor photo I just took, the thick black line is a centimetre up from the bottom but the picture can still be seen below the black line, a continuation of the picture I mean - overscan compensation just lowers it and brings the top of the screen down.

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 176

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Are these line top and bottom, if they are only in movies it could be the aspect ratio lines. Again when watching a movie press the ok button on your remote so you get the bottom menu up, now go to the film reel icon again, and at the top you should be able to adjust the screens aspect ratio to fit normally 16.9 zoom or something like that.

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
No the line is only at the bottom - I've been into the movie reel settings - the only way I can get rid of it is in wide zoom, which makes it disappear but also half the picture - and one of the other settings moved it to the right hand side of the screen where it changed from horizontal to vertical! Always the same thick black bar.

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
Have made it worse now - as you can see, the picture is way off centre, when I centre it it kind of puts a frame all around it, the best thing I could do is probably reset it to default, is there any way of doing that? Nothing I do in calibration was able to remove the thick black line - I could move it downwards, but of course the top of the screen came down with it meaning the top half of the screen was empty.

Attachments

• IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 152

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Is it ok when using Showbox, if it is it might be a error with the internal player in Kodi . So I would either clear data and re-run the wizard, try the unmodded skin to see if this helps. Or try the live chat function on the main site.
Some times you get this if your box isn't calibrated, but in your cause it must be a fault some where.
Sorry I couldn't help and good luck.

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
OK will give it a go. I changed from unmodded to modded over the weekend but to be honest, it was doing this before that.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
When clearing data let it get to zero, then go back and do the wizard and also after the wizard has finished unplug the power from the back, wait and then back in. Hope you get this sorted, but if it does carry on please use the live chat as the tech guys/ girls can help.

Dave

Wolfie

May 29, 2015
Dave sorry one more thing, how do I clear the data, I went into the maintainance and cleared the cache but didn't see any countdown to zero, it just took a split second and it said all done

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
You need to go out of Kodi (xbmc) and go to settings, then the "other" tab, then more setting and then scroll down to apps and then click on Kodi here you can clear data.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you're still having problems, can you clarify if this is just in XBMC, or whether other apps also show this GUI corruption? Clearing data after a force stop - http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/resetting-xbmc-to-a-just-installed-state.27/ then selecting the Confluence pack would be the first step I'd take. Feel free to ignore me if the e-mail reply from other staff suggested a different approach.

Paul Owen

Jul 24, 2015
Apologies if I'm being really thick, but when playing a lot of movies, there's a thick black line at the bottom of the screen, not at the very bottom as you can see the bottom of the picture but about 1cm up from the bottom - it's about an inch thick and runs the width of the screen - what is it and how do I get rid of it, is it a picture size thing?

I took delivery of my T8 last week and have been having the exact same problem, thick black line across the bottom, screen seemingly off to the right. Fiddled with the video calibration tools and the zoom but to no avail.

I have fixed it though. Are you using an older TV?

I was using a Samsung 720p TV that's at least 7 years old. I have two other more modern 1080p tv's in the house and it works perfectly straight away on those, no issue at all. So I can only deduce that it's the TV. Hope this helps

Paul Owen

Jul 24, 2015
Have you turned off the HDMI auto detect in setting, then under that select the picture size you want.

I haven't tried that as I'm quite happy now, just using one of the newer tv's. Will try your idea when I get a chance and update the thread