The Postman

Sep 23, 2014
Can I install a spare 64 GB sd card? Will only half the memory work if I do this or will the system become unstable and fail.
iMX6 manual says that it will only take 32Gb sd but I don't have one to hand.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
We had a similar query for X7 devices, see my posts there - http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/maximum-sd-card-limit.245/
In case any customers with an iMX6 don't see that thread, if you have an SD card (or indeed a microSD card with an adapter) of more than 32Gb, could you test whether your DroidBOX device can use it or not? It is possible that the 32Gb limit mentioned was defined when the devices were first made, and perhaps 64Gb cards didn't exist, rather than being a SD/microSD vs SDXC/microSDXC compatibility issue.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you have spare time, you could copy over a large film a few times on a Windows PC (if you keep copying the same one over, you should be able to get a.avi a(1).avi a(2).avi to occur quite easily, that will test whether the iMX6 is happy reading all the way up to 64Gb of data. No problem if you've not got the time obviously.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The capacity compatibility concerns (and there the alliteration ends) differ from USB hard drives and memory cards. Normally the limits on memory cards are based upon what the card reader in a device can access. Starting with the oldest to newest standards, SD>SDHC>SDXC
I've just double checked, and the original SD standard was up to 2Gb (though a few 4Gb cards that were NOT SDHC were made), then you've got 2Gb to 32Gb for SDHC, and finally SDXC takes you up to Tb capacities!
Hard drive compatibility varies from one device to another, but I'd not expect any recent hardware to have issues with 2Tb. As for the 8Tb or more monsters crashing into the market, I think it'll be a while before I can afford one of those to test our models!

Reactions: pibitvillage