akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Hi there, please help. I have issues from day one with my driodbox x7.

I have contacted support a few times (most of the time i have had to explain the issue twice) here's what they have suggested:

Update firmware- done
Reset box and do a clean install -done. Several times. (as instructed)

When doing a clean install the box will sometimes reboot completely when downloading the Driodbox wizard bits.

The problem is my box randomly reboots. When it does work XBMC will open all fine, but crash to the android main menu or complete reboot the box automatically within 10 mins. This is when i am not running anything in XBMC.

I have tried Gotham 13.1 and 13.2. Nothing support have suggested has worked.

So before i send the box back, is the anything else i can do?

The box isn't over heating, the case seems cool and at a good temperature.

I have also tried to find the crash log files to see whats going on, but i am unable to find them.

Thanks.

(not a very happy customer)

Tony

Jul 15, 2014
are you doing a complete reinstall after each reboot/shut down ?? also after each reinstall are you going straight in to xbmc and d/loading the wizard etc? the reason I ask, is your box will reboot/shut down after 10mins or so each time you do a clean reinstall.. try it again and do not enter xbmc.. make a mental note of the apps you see.. give it 10mins or so and your box will reboot/shut down.. power it back up and have a look at the apps again.. you should see more apps than last time.. this is normal it caught me out a couple of times until I figured out that the box does a two stage reinstall and was not faulty.. reboot and then re-run the xbmc wizard and you should be good to go.

Reactions: akhems

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Thanks for your advice Tony. IL try it now.
But would this explain why XBMC4Droid randomly reboots/crashes the box when running?
Even with Xbmc not doing or running anything?

Thanks

Last edited:

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Ok i have reset the box, let it download all the apps and left it for about 20 mins. It has turned off.
I have powered it back up and im now running the wizard in Xbmc so we will see how it goes.

Il keep you updated. so far your advice has been the best. Much appreciated.

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Ok just done all that. Im leaving Xbmc running without it running any vids to see if it crashes or reboots the box, will let you know you know later.

Thanks again Tony.

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Has crashed a couple of times, when not doing anything :(

Box reboots for no reason while in XBMC.

I cant think of what to do to fix this.

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Box still randomly reboots, even when its not running anything in XBMC :(

Any ideas, would like to know what tech support think..

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Hi, this does sound like a hardware fault. If we're "lucky", the power supply has developed a fault. Can you e-mail us again, and mention that SilentlyScreaming asked for a replacement power supply to be sent to you? Please include the info here - http://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/what-to-include-if-you-need-to-e-mail-us.364/ (and obviously let us know if you have a new address etc that we should send the PSU to). If a new power supply doesn't improve matters, then we'll replace the device itself, assuming it was purchased in the last 12 months.

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
Thanks but that doesnt explain why XBMC bomb's out randomly.
Can you help with that?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@akhems - if your device is randomly rebooting (rather than "just" quitting XBMC), then that is the 1st priority in terms of what to check out and fix. Hardware rebooting could be due to the power supply suddenly not being able to provide enough power to the DroidBOX device, or the DroidBOX device itself having a hardware fault.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Not common, no. However if a fault occurs that leads to power levels dipping or dropping out entirely, I tend to hope they are due to a power supply, as we can pop one in the post easily enough, and if the original one was faulty, people don't have to reconfigure their device, as they would if it was a new replacement one that was needed.

akhems

Oct 24, 2014
I emailed support this morning with all the info, no one has got back to me yet.......