Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a message out to Ahmed... but in case anyone else knows...

I need to flash my X7 with the latest firmware but I am having trouble locating the drivers!

Any ideas?

Many Thanks.

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If it is just the drivers you need, try these:

This is an automated program designed to put them in place, ready for when you attach your X7/X7 Ultimate/Q7/V9 device to your PC in bootloader mode (holding down the reset switch) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9vu2iqrfsag1or/DriverInstaller_2014.rar?dl=0

I've not tried that yet (need to use a PC that I've never connected a RockChip based device to), so if that doesn't work, here are the drivers in their raw form, and the RKBatchTool program as well - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7wpcrmxloy4dfc/Droidbox Drivers & RKBatchTool.zip?dl=0

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks Silently Screaming,

Ahmed gave me a different link to get the Batchtool (and the drivers) - https://www.mediafire.com/?xddddqljftju5b5

After unzipping I did have a few driver folders containing files... such as rockusb.sys which may be a driver file? However when I direct the driver install to that folder I get an error: Windows could not find driver software for your device.

Do you suggest I continue with Ahmed's link and try to resolve or try again with https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9vu2iqrfsag1or/DriverInstaller_2014.rar?dl=0

Thanks.

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The raw driver files should be the same. You'll need to use the directory that matches your operating system.

If you have a 32-bit installation of Windows, start from the X86 folder, if your Windows installation is 64-bit, start from the x64 folder.
From there, select the folder that matches your version of Windows (XP, 2000, Vista, 7 etc etc).

If you don't know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, find the icon for My Computer (either on your desktop, or in Windows Explorer, the file manager). Right click on My Computer, select properties. Search around the window that appears, and it'll say 32- or 64-bit somewhere.

You're definitely in bootloader mode when connecting the X7 to your PC, as in holding down the reset switch on the bottom of the device?

If all else fails, try the DriverInstaller2014.rar archive, and run the EXE in there.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks again Silently Screaming,

I'll try the driver installer this evening when I get home.

Leggsy

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi Silently Screaming,

Some progress... the box is now defined on the PC as a Rockusb device... Windows states that the device is available and the driver is up to date.

BUT... The Batchtool does not see it... box 1 is greyed out?

Any ideas?

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If it doesn't show up in the batchtool, it is possible it is connected as a normal USB device, with the X7 not in Bootloader mode. Can I double check you're definitely holding down that reset button before any other leads (USB, power etc) are connected, and keep it held in until Windows notices the new device?

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi SS,

I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions given previously and also tried a few variations in an attempt to get it working... I'll try the following precisely this evening...

1 - Disconnect all leads.
2 - PC is on.
3 - Press the recovery button on the reverse of Droidbox - a click is heard. KEEP the button depressed.
4 - I will attach the mini usb to the Droidbox.
5 - I will attach the usb to the PC.
6 - I will connect the power cable to the Droidbox.
7 - The PC will beep to indicate a new device is located.
8 - I will open the batchtool - where box 1 should now be green.

Is this the recommended order of events?

Thanks.

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Yes, exactly that. You may find it starts happening before you attach the power supply, it all depends how much current your USB socket can provide. Also, not (trying!) being pedantic, just checking we're on the same page, it is a microUSB lead plugged into your X7, yes?
If it still doesn't work, can you let me know which version of Windows you've got installed on your PC, whether you're connecting directly to the PC's USB sockets or via a USB hub, and whether said socket is a USB2 or USB3 socket.
Also, can you let me know which version of the batchtool you're using, something like 1.6, 1.7 etc etc

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi SS,

The box doesn't seem to get enough power from the USB to boot - It needs the power supply itself.

The micro USB goes to the Xbox, standard to the PC.

I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) and its direct to USB (no hub)... I think its USB2... It's only a couple of years old so could be a 3 - How do I check?

The link I was given takes me to version 1.5 of the batch tool.

Regards.

Leggsy.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi SS,

Followed the instructions and whilst the PC can see the device and is happy that the drivers are up todate..... BUT the Batchtool is still not seeing it... Is there anyway to check that the recovery button is working and placing the box into flash mode?

Thanks.

Leggsy

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Hi SS,

Additional info: I have a USB2 and a USB3 connection. I have tried both using the instructions above ... either gives the same result.

Regards.

Leggsy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Stick with USB2. For future ease of identification, USB3 sockets (started at least) to be blue I think.
Checking the reset/recovery button? Hold it down, then connect power lead and turn it on when it is connected to just a TV. You should see the recovery menu come up. If it does, you can release the switch, and you'll know it is working.
Re RKBatchTool - use the one from my first post - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7wpcrmxloy4dfc/Droidbox Drivers & RKBatchTool.zip?dl=0 - that is v1.7 . This may not sort the issue by itself, but best to cover everything.

If none of that helps, you can take another approach. It hasn't proven to be as reliable as flashing via a PC for some reason, but if you take the img file you're trying to flash, stick it on a microSD card or USB device, and rename it to update.img. Hold down the reset switch on your X7, connect power lead and turn it on when, no PC involved. It has been a while, but I think if the update.img file is on your microSD card (FAT/FAT32 format only please) it should automatically flash (Android robot with a spinning geometric shape in his stomach). If it doesn't automatically flash, or you're using a USB device, you'll find yourself in the aforementioned recovery menu. Select Wipe data/factory reset, and confirm you're sure. Then when you get back to the root of the recovery menu, select Apply update from external storage. From there, select whichever device you've plugged in (external_sd or USB) and then select the firmware IMG file.
As I said, this approach doesn't always work well, and you may find you have slightly different terms on your recovery menu, but if the paragraphs above don't help with using your PC, it is something else to try.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks again SS,

I will of course try the above over the weekend.

One point I notice from the above which is different to how my model of box behaves is the on/off functionality.

When I plug the power cable into the droidbox it automatically turns on, there is no need to click the on/off button. This is part of the original problem I reported regarding placing the box into stand by.

I'm sure this isn't affecting anything but thought it best to mention.

Many Thanks.

Leggsy

Leggsy.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks for mentioning it. I've been using the X7 on my desk, rather than the one next to the TV. I'm not sure which version it is (one without labels), but I know the different firmwares and revisions of the X7 behave differently.
Sorry for any confusion caused.

rick_ca

Jul 26, 2014
HI SS don't know if you remember but I went thru same root and I ended up using revo uninstaller to remove my Samsung phone programme and the batch tool worked after that maybe there a piece of software on leggsy computer that like mine is causeing a conflict (please excuse spelling I haven't had morning coffee yet LOL)

Reactions: ChrisM

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Ok Guys,

I have tried to used the reset (labelled Recovery) to enter flash mode and the button is not performing! The button seems to be powering the unit down?

So, I placed the update on USB as suggested and fired up the box! It recognised I had an update.img on the USB and attempted the update...

It failed..... I cannot see the full message as its off the side the visable page, but basically it states the image file found is invalid!

and then... installation aborted...

I suspect there is an issue with this model of box? Is there anything else I can try?

Many Thanks.

Leggsy.

Leggsy

Sep 16, 2014
Sorry... I should have confirmed... this is on the TV rather than using the PC ;-)

Leggsy