Damien Green

Oct 18, 2015
Why won't T8 OpenELEC recognise my SATA Hard Drive? I installed a 500GB Western Digital SATA drive into the internal hard drive bay, but I am struggling to get the Droidbox to recognise it. I have tried switching to OpenELEC and looking under the various settings, but there isn't even an option to format the HDD.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated. Thank you

Damien Green

Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for your reply David. My problem was that the HDD I installed was my old 500GB drive from my laptop. It had a hidden oem partition on it called DELL UTILITY. When I started up the Droidbox, I got a message on the bottom right of the screen telling me that the system had found the DELL UTILITY and deleted it. It kept going into this loop each time and the HDD was not recognised.

I could not delete this partition even when I connected the HDD to my main PC via caddy. I tried using admin tools>computer management>disk management to delete it but to no avail.

I found a solution which worked perfectly and now the drive is installed and recognised by XBMC/Kodi. Check out the link below to see how it's done.

http://jaredheinrichs.com/how-to-delete-oem-partition.html