mickr62

Mar 3, 2016
Is the H265 Video 10bit or 8bit some boxes appear to 8bit while others say 10bit . Also can you use a ssd drive in the box or does it have to be 2.5 drive

With Thanks
Mickr62

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The overwhelming majority of SSD units are 2.5" . As long as it is 9.5mm or less in height, it will fit fine. Hybrid drives (large spinning drive with a smaller SSD acting as a cache) are 3.5" most of the time, could this be where the confusion has arisen? I've got an SSD drive working fine here, however I'm not sure about TRIM command support, so I'd be careful using an SSD drive with Android for a few years, THEN making it a boot drive/critical data storage area elsewhere.

The S905 (used in the T8-S Plus) is one of the chips listed at http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware as being H265 capable, whereas the line above that has a note of 8-bit only for the older chips.

I'm sorry that I don't have a concrete answer for you right now, but if there is an objective test that can be run to test 8 vs 10-bit please do let me know, I'd be happy to run it for you on a T8-S Plus.

[edit]
I say objective as I'd not want to rely on my eyes alone to give you an answer.

Reactions: David Savage

mickr62

Mar 3, 2016
So would you advise fitting a sata 2.5"drive in box rather then a 2.5"ssd drive.

Mickr62

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
SSD has lower power requirements and is quieter. Traditional spinning drives are cheaper (per Gb that is).
If money wasn't a factor, I'd probably have an SSD every time.