sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Has anyone any idea why I keep dropping ethernet connection, am hard wired and is no big deal (just have to remove the connection from box and plug back in) to reconnect but this has happened the past few days have turned the box on. TIA

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Hi Sean.
No easy answer I'm afraid.
By process of elimination.

Does it happen on wifi?
If NOT then assume wiring to router good (i.e your outside connection)
If NOT then router is capable of receiving and transmitting signals

Do you get dropouts on another ethernet port on router?
If NOT assume faulty ethernet port on router

If YES do you get a constant connection using a different ethernet cable
If YES assume original cable faulty

If NOT are there any devices close by which may be introducing noise?

If NOT try another device using the same cable, port etc

If another device works ok then there may be a problem with the ethernet connection on the box.

May help in diagnosing before buying new router or box.
May be worth seeing if there is any android software that will allow you to line test your connection to the router.

Reactions: ChrisM

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Cheers Nigelar, have tried different ports (of which work on 1st connection then drop when box turned off then back on) also have a brand new ethernet replacement lead (can never have too many) with exactly same results. Netgear nighthawk router is a less than a month old replacement as I broke the other but still under warranty. The box has started rebooting randomly (eg. Half way thru my name is lenny movie last night) cracking film by the way, normally reboots a minute or so after powering on. Am talking myself into another factory restore here think we know the script by now lol

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I had a similar problem happen to me dropping Ethernet it would not let me connect to Ethernet in settings,I had to disconnect Ethernet and reconnect also my box would restart when I switched it on tried factory reset still the same. This is what fixed it for me factory reset without the Ethernet cable plugged in, selected language then Ethernet then plugged the Ethernet cable in (message connecting to Ethernet) skipped back a page selected language again then Ethernet connected,my box is back to normal now.

Reactions: ChrisM

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks angela it will be tomorrow before I get to follow your setup, will post back when have give it a go.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Its only got the dbx connected, tried angelas guide but after a couple of reboots it dropped again. Give me something to get my teeth into tommorrow cheers

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
only other thing that the others haven't said is reset router to factory settings, and try a different router also check out the modem dsl broadband etc like I said above try line interference testing noise on the line can knock things off Google search for a good test but I think there's good testing other than the fancy meters from the isp tecs basically all that's left is tear down the whole network and do like a bad pc one part at a time until the problem shows up

Reactions: sean99

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I personally don't think it has any think to do with your router, this is the second time this has happened to me after flashing firmware to my box, I had to flash firmware back in January and again last week I had the exact same problem on android side of the box but if I switch to LiberELEC Ethernet pickup straight away reboot back to android all ok till you restart your box then same problem again Ethernet wont connect box keeps rebooting it took quite a few factory resets before I got the box back to normal it may take you a few resets but I'm sure one will work. Good Luck.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Yes that is exactly my way of thought on this 1 angela, the problem is down to the android side of the box and not the router or cable as as you say L E connects no problems. Have taken a copy of my personal build from L E now so can get it factory reset until I crack it. Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Another thing worth trying (in the vein of Nigelar's suggestions) is to temporarily disconnect ALL other devices from your home network, whether they are connected by Ethernet or WiFi (if WiFi, just turn them off for few minutes).

(Appreciate that this isn't your network hardware, but for future visitors to this thread, Virgin (as in the ISP!) modems sometimes seem to cause unusual faults that defy logic and hide well).

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
@sean99 , had this in my home months ago and the solution for me atleast anyway was to allocate static IP addresses for each box so lounge would be 192 bla bla ending 251 say then bedroom would end 252 and so on... Touch wood never had problem since. This was easy enough to do on my BT home hub just log into advanced settings and on home network list, each device connected is shown then is just a tick box to always use this IP (which can also be manually changed) then apply, imagine will be much the same for the nighthawk? Think possibly with android boxes they all fight for a default IP being set by router DHCP when box/router reboot occurs and is a case of who gets it first when the others don't is like.. ooh what now!! setting static IP's combats this (for me anyway) good luck bud ;)

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
@thereaper123 thanks for that as I will be setting a static ip when I finish work later today. To be honest I have used a static ip on the same box a few firmwares ago with openelec 6 with no problems at all. Thanks all for the replies, will post back when its sorted out.

Reactions: thereaper123

bobwho

Jan 11, 2017
I had same problem,after doing everthing I could think of I noticed I was hooked to someone,s internet in neighhood.Took me awhile but got it back to my Router,this has happened a few time,s,i have 65mps someone else close has a lot more than me.I now make sure I hook to my internet,and then at time,s it will jump back to neighbor,s and I do hook to earthnet.Make sure it,s your line.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
@bobwho in my case as @thereaper123 suggested in allocating a static ip was the answer to my problem. In hindsight I should have know that as the same problem occurred a few years back. Thanks anyways

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@bobwho If you're connecting to someone else's WiFi network, head to Android's Settings, then the WiFi area (you may need to click a Network icon first). Long click on the WiFi network you DON'T want to connect to in the future, and there should be a "Forget" option.