Mat

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, when doing a factory reset its best to unplug all USB and SD stuff yes? does this include the VIP remote control USB dongle, I never took that one out, could this of caused a glitch or a bug somewhere? only ask for future reference, thanks, mat.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I tend to unplug everything when entering the recovery menu, I've not tried it with devices attached. You DEFINITELY want to remove any memory card or USB devices that may still have firmware files on them.
I've once seen the VIP remote control cause the recovery menu selection to rapidly scroll down and down. I removed the dongle and used a normal USB keyboard and then an infrared remte control to check all was still OK.

Dave Cooper

Jul 23, 2014
I have done a reset with the vip remote. It will scroll down really quickly but will stop after a few seconds allowing you to click on what you want

Reactions: Mat

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
hi, and thank you for the information, unplug everything sounds good enough, and the quick scroll thing, yes had that done to me a few times with the VIP, in just regular use, I think I will unplug it in the future, thanks again, mat.

L33_RYM

Oct 27, 2014
Is there anyway of calibrating the VIP Air Mouse at all? Mine seems to be well out. In order to move it around on the screen the remote needs to be pointed at the door.

Reactions: pibitvillage

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, the VIP remote control I have is calibrated by moving the arrow to the edge of the screen, move left until arrow stops or move right until arrow stops or up or down, the arrow cant go off screen so the VIP remote catches up with the arrow, after that it should be in the right place, but because of this feature it can and does go out a lot. hope this helps, mat

Reactions: ChrisM

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Unlike the Wii's controller, most remote control's Air Mouse functions seem to work exactly as Mat described.
When I saw calibrate, I thought you meant the speed at which it moved. If that ever becomes an issue, PM me and I'll send you the latest manual for the VIP remote control.

Pauladev

Oct 1, 2014
What is a VIP Remote control?

I have noticed that the one that came with my M8 is subject to double clicking if a button is pressed too hard, and effective range is less than 5 metres.

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, It's a remote control for the DroidBOX, it's a separate item you can buy if your box did not come with one supplied, may not look exactly like pic, my VIP has a tiny dongle, not a huge one like that :)

Attachments

• vip remote.jpg
    vip remote.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 205

Pauladev

Oct 1, 2014
image.jpg
This is the remote that came with my M8. No dongle, so I guess it is built in. The VIP Remote looks better. Does it have a full QWERTY keyboard? If so, how do you place the cursor eg to type passwords?
The one that came with the M8 has poor range, and I have to use a separate keyboard/touchpad for some selection functions, as the remote seems to rely on an onscreen keyboard, and there is no way to place the cursor.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
VIP Remote Control details - https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-tm-vipremote.html
Your remote is infra red, like most TV/DVD player etc remotes are, so no dongle required. The VIP Remote uses 2.4GHz radio to communicate with devices. It has a full QWERTY keyboard on the back.
Re no way to place the cursor, press the button with a picture of a mouse, then click the cursor keys, you should see an on screen cursor move then (OK button to "tap"/click).

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, I have 3 remote devices like that one, I do not use any of them, there in my opinion rubbish, I bought the DroidBox VIP remote from E-Bay, It is a much better device to have, not sure of the price, was about £15 but a well worth investment for me. ah just clicked on silents link, have a look and give it a think, good luck, mat.

Reactions: admin and ChrisM

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Ive never been able to set mine up, the vip is always pointing at the door and the only thing that I ve got to work is the on off and the keypad, never managed to teach it anything with the samsung smart tv zapper. So I gave up 8-(

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
Hi pit, did you read my earlier post? if not here it is again,

Hi, the VIP remote control I have is calibrated by moving the arrow to the edge of the screen, move left until arrow stops or move right until arrow stops or up or down, the arrow cant go off screen so the VIP remote catches up with the arrow, after that it should be in the right place, but because of this feature it can and does go out a lot. hope this helps, mat

if that don't help, you'll have to have a word with an admin, to see if anything else could be done. good luck

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@pibitvillage - Is it possible that your smart TV's remote control is not infrared based, but perhaps 2.4GHz wireless? I've only come across a problem teaching my VIP remote control InfraRed remote control codes when I was playing with a air conditioner remote in an office.
A quick way to double check would be to grab your smart TV's remote, pick up your phone and start the camera app, then switch to the forward facing camera (selfie-lens). If you point the smart TV's remote at the lens on your phone, and press a button, can you see an LED/LEDs light up on your phone's preview of the camera's image? If you can, the code being sent is infrared, and the VIP should be able to learn it. If you see no LED(s) lighting up, it is likely that the remote doesn't use infrared.
It might be worth trying to teach the VIP codes from a different remote (anything will do for a test, old HiFi, DVD player etc), also I don't think all the keys on the VIP can be re-programmed, I've stuck to using the colours at the bottom.
As Mat mentioned, in terms of re-orientating the VIP remote's phsyical location and orientation to match the cursor on your screen, try moving the VIP in the opposite direction to an extreme, and the cursor should catch up a little. Difficult to describe in words, sorry.

Reactions: pibitvillage

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Pmsl you learn new things everyday lol I never would have thought, being pedantic here the light shows up as purple flashing lol ...............ok I know the white balance needs sorting lol

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, so the infrared you're trying to teach the VIP to copy is infrared then. Can you try temporarily teaching the VIP a different remote control, just in case there is something out of the ordinary with the remote that won't be mimicked?

whitey82

Feb 11, 2015
I'm trying to pair my vip remote with my panasonic viera with no luck. I did the test with the phone on camera and was a white flashing light so definitely IR. Are there any better instructions as the ones that came with the remote are hard to understand, many thanks