hexme

May 8, 2016
Well having had the T8 for a few days now I'm getting used to the quirks of my little bundle of joy.

I initially bought the box for downloading Google play music and streaming from KODI among other little apps I love so much on android.

I've now got myself a 32 GB SD card for downloading music from Google and a lovely new keypad from this site.

Last night I installed a 250 GB internal drive, after some time of scratching my head for the life of me I can't at the moment find a use for it? Wish it would by default save everything to the internal HDD instead of messing with the built in storage area.

When I use KODI I'll stream, I'll download Google Music on the SD card, other music and films on a USB stick, as I said just wish it saved to the Internal HDD instead

This thread is not meant as a complaint, or to upset anyone just an observation as I love the little box, just wish in my case the internal drive was a little more user friendly, surely a software tweak could sort this?

So I guess the question is, apart from downloading from KODI what do users use their Internal HDD for?

Thanks

Tony :)

Reactions: lo55go

lo55go

Feb 10, 2016
I to have an internal HDD but don't use the box on a regular basis like most users. Would like to know what else HDD could b used for as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
The basic use of Internal HDD is to store large amount of data and to prevent internal storage from getting filled up. You can download data on internal storage and then you can move that data manually to internal HDD which will free up internal storage. You can also directly download media files on internal HDD from Add-ons if that allows you to download.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
With an option to have 4 different kodi versions installed on this box at the same time (dbmc, kodi, spmc, openelec) you could be using 4 different configs/wizards and the hdd we install can keep a hell of a lot of backups on (wizard named and dated userdata, addons files). Apk and zip files, the list is endless to save using the boxs' built in memory and keep it running smoothly. I 1st thought what I had bought a 1tb hdd for but its there when needed.

smoggy333

Mar 21, 2016
I have to admit I love the fact you can have an internal disk, I have fitted a 500GB SSD disk and have found it useful when traveling as you can store items on the disk to watch if your in a place with no internet. And like sean99 said I also keep my backups on the internal disk too.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
You can get a 1tb hdd quite cheap and should run smoothly if you have the new internal power supply fitted, I dont have that mod but use mine externally in a usb 3 caddy and runs perfect. Good luck and it has to be a 2.5 inch drive to use internally.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Ps. DB sell them for £42.95 and you will not get one much cheaper than that.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Also worth pointing out for future readers of this thread that the 2.5" drive needs to be 9.5mm or less in height. Also SSD prices have dropped pretty well. You gain lower power consumption and presumably speed (not sure when I'd need the boost in real life usage, I've a 60Gb SSD in one device and an old 120Gb spinning drive in the other), but lose out in terms of cost per Gb with SSD. Then again, 60Gb of music and films should last me a long time if I go somewhere without internet access!
btw, it isn't a new internal power supply we've switched to, but a new cable.

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
your right about price coming down, $40 us for 240 SSD $40 us 2 TB HDD i have the 240 in box and 2 TB usb I love it. A Walmart in US had 1 tB usb drives on clearance for $ 15 US so I bought all 4 they had.

Sent from my T8SPlus using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

Reactions: ChrisM