UKGuy

Nov 8, 2015
I have just bought a T8s and am getting really poor speeds over my wifi. I have a BT homehub5 and Infinity fibre optic 38mbs. All my other devices run very quick.. I put my Galaxy s5 next to T8s and get ~30Mbs download and 15MBs upload but the droidbox is getting 3Mbs download and less than 1mbs upload.. all videos buffer and keep stopping. The router is in the same room about 3 Meters away and I get much better speeds with different devices even in the other end of my house. I have turned off parental controls on router and smart setup is turned off.
Is the wifi in the T8-s just really poor or is there anything I can do to speed it up? I don't see that it is a problem with the router as all other wireless devices that I have are 5Ghz and get good speeds.
Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
A couple of things. Ensure you're t8 has got the 5ghz channel, maybe it has defaulted to 2ghz.
Also try an ethernet connection and see what speed you get as a comparison.

UKGuy

Nov 8, 2015
yes I checked it has got both channels, I will try with Ethernet cable but I really want to use it over wifi and can't understand why it is the only device out of 6+ devices that is getting poor wifi speeds. I am beginning to regret buying it as I think it could be a hardware problem. Thanks for the reply.

tbl

Nov 9, 2015
I just got mine today. WiFi is pitiful. From my MacBook I can get 30Mb/s on my 40Mb/s Sky connection. From my T8-S I get 2-3Mb/s max in the same room. No interference.
Using Ethernet I get 30Mb/s.

UKGuy

Nov 8, 2015
I just got mine today. WiFi is pitiful. From my MacBook I can get 30Mb/s on my 40Mb/s Sky connection. From my T8-S I get 2-3Mb/s max in the same room. No interference.
Using Ethernet I get 30Mb/s.

Sorry you are in the same boat as me... there must be a problem with the wifi in these newer Droidboxes as I never had a problem with my old X7. I have done a quick google search and a few other people seem to be having the same problem with their T8/T8-S and I have tried everything I can think of but nothing helps.

tbl

Nov 9, 2015
Sorry you are in the same boat as me... there must be a problem with the wifi in these newer Droidboxes as I never had a problem with my old X7. I have done a quick google search and a few other people seem to be having the same problem with their T8/T8-S and I have tried everything I can think of but nothing helps.

I'm tempted to just send it back. I'm disappointed in it, would have been better off buying another Amazon Fire Stick. Pointless if WiFi doesn't work.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Would suggest you contact support, either by email or by a live chat session (see green message icon on bottom right of the main droidbox front page).

UKGuy

Nov 8, 2015
I'm tempted to just send it back. I'm disappointed in it, would have been better off buying another Amazon Fire Stick. Pointless if WiFi doesn't work.
Ok I seem to have sorted it.. I don't know why this affects just the droidbox and none of my other devices but there seemed to be some kind of interference from a neighbours wifi so I changed the channel in 5GHz menu on router from automatic to channel 40 and it instantly went from 2Mbs to 35Mbs...

Reactions: ChrisM

tbl

Nov 9, 2015
Interesting. My Sky hub has no option to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, however changing channels made no odds. I'm getting 0.6Mbit/s downstream but upstream just fine!

tbl

Nov 9, 2015
I just tried something, I connected my T8-s to my 4G iPhone using personal hotspot, and got 30Mb/s, so it seems the problem isnt the box per se, I just think it has some problems with specific channels, likely 2.4GHz channels!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Tbl, does your droidbox give you the option to logon to the 5ghz channel. If so , try that.

tbl

Nov 9, 2015
No... there is no 5GHz channel as the Sky Hub isnt capable of 5GHz. Either way, Android will connect to the SSID as broadcast but the network, so there would be no option to connect specifically to 5GHz or 2.4GHz, that's down to the hub.