B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
I am new to this and have been trying to figure out how to be able to write to internal hard drive on my t8-s plus. When I try to set up Kodi backup to drive I get a message about making sure my drive is not write protected or is writable. I hope this is not the wrong place for this message. I would really appreciate any help. I read something about drive 777 attributes but not sure how to do that if that is whats needed.

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
thank you...yes the drive has been formatted I used open elec kodi and formatted it. My system sees the internal drive and external usb drive too both formatted but neither drive can be written too. same with sd card too

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
I get the same problem with my T8-S Plus OpenElec on which I've recently carried out a system restore, OTG update and installed the latest versions of DBMC and Kodi.
Since these updates I cannot write any files to my internal drive, an SDHC card or even to a USB Thumb Drive. I can read files from these drives but not write. Consequently I cannot even make a backup of my DBMC/Kodi configurations or configure/store downloads. File Manager in Kodi will not allow me to make a new folder on any of these drives.
I notice that this problem only occurs in the Android part of the Droidbox. If I try to write to a drive I get the message:
“Make sure the selected folder is writeable and the new folder name is valid”.
In OpenElec/Kodi I can read and write files normally to each of these three drives, so the problem would not appear to be related to formatting. More likely an issue with file permission settings in Android.

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
Does anybody have the answers or info how to correct this problem? Or did we pay the extra money to get a TV box that has internal hard drive and we cant write to it! can anyone write to the internal drive or SD card? I can't even move some of the apps to the SD Card like I can with my "cheap fully loaded TV Box. What's up with that?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Could you both please confirm if you had used the backup and restore functions on the DroidBOX previously. Is it possible for you to check the HDD on Windows if there are any file or folder errors on the drives?

sblabs

Jul 18, 2016
Earth
have a look at the play store and download sdfix-0.7-7, and download es file explorer, on the left hand side of the es explorer look for root explorer tick the box , a box will pop up select mount drive if i recall its called and a box will pop up with mount R/W to selected drives, its a limit in android lollipop.

regards
Edwin

Reactions: David Savage

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
thanks for the info i did that and setup super SU that all helped I guess I can now write to HDD. i noticed can only write to folders already on HDD so I figured out that with ES file explorer with root enabled that i can pick drive i want and then create folder and then be able to write to it. that solved my backing up to hdd problem inside kodi so far I tried backup with ares wizard backup tool and it works great now. I sure the hell dont want to back up to local drive,only 32 Gig and I have 9 seperate kodi installs to backup. thanks again

Reactions: sblabs

Jim Thomas

Dec 29, 2015
have a look at the play store and download sdfix-0.7-7, and download es file explorer, on the left hand side of the es explorer look for root explorer tick the box , a box will pop up select mount drive if i recall its called and a box will pop up with mount R/W to selected drives, its a limit in android lollipop.

regards
Edwin

Many Thanks Edwin. I have also installed SDFIX and ES File Explorer. In file explorer I found that if you select the Root Explorer slider (on the left) and then click on the words Root Explorer a pop-up box allows you to select "Mount R/W", then a second pop-up box allows you to select RW for the devices requiring RW access. Since then all seems to be ok. I can now make backups and downloads to my internal HDD and external USB drive. Brilliant!

Reactions: ChrisM and sblabs