marcstck

May 8, 2017
Hi, just bought two minis, and have installed IP vanish VPN.

I generally have very high 5G wireless speeds. With the VPN disconnected, I'm routinely getting speeds of over 180 Mb per second on the boxes. Once the VPN is connected, though, this drops to somewhere between 10-15 Mbps. Wow.

I generally connect to a nearby server (I'm in New York City), and I've tried changing the settings within the IP Vanish app, but can't seem to break that 15 Mbps barrier. While I know that speed is fine for HD streaming, it's frustrating to have a high-speed connection completely obliterated by the VPN.

Any advice? Suggested settings? Thanks in advance…

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
read my post on vpn and security it covers vpns the load they put on the boxes, and software vpns if you look all over this forum software vpns cause lots of problems config issues etc. you can get them stabilized but vpn routers are easier and the $400 router range lets you pick the vpn provider and changes vpn servers regularly just like the software you can change servers

software only covers one machine at a time! i dont use vpn right now because my preferd way routers is not affordable and not necessary for me 30 plus years of being a torrent user only last year because i was stupid and careless did i ever get a warning from my ip provider otherwise since i started useing pcs and internet 30 plus years of no problems so thats a expense i cant justify other forum members can help with the nitty gritty of setting them up etc

but do a cpu z test or the droidbox remote has a info button that shows ram useage and cpu compare before and after and you should see what im saying i try hard to study and post weblinks of only facts not opinions!

also wireless no matter how fast just isnt reliable i always recommend hard wiring the boxes thats covered in my post to long to put here the comparison data ways to hide the cables run cables etc it works yes no doubt or debate but how many people who use wireless have issues? im willing to bet a huge percent because it comes up allot!

marcstck

May 8, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I have IP Vanish set up on my iPad and iPhone, and the wireless speeds only take a negligible hit. Nothing like what I'm seeing on the android box.

Before I bought the Droid Box Minis, I had two Amazon Fire Sticks, and their wireless reception was awful. When using a VPN could basically only stream SD. So the Droid Box is an improvement. Just hate to see my superfast wireless connection get slammed like that, but given that the US government will now allow ISPs to sell user data, it does seem wise to use a VPN.

Thought of buying a VPN router, but, like you said, the expense is quite high. May ultimately be the way to go, though…

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
The us hasn't passed the bill yet but it's coming up probably soon. All of our country's have a moron running them right now, I was watching last week in review with John Oliver and he was talking about the us and the uk leaders

isp providers and the government always have been able to tell every detail of online activities and even every second that you spent on the net

you can never hide that and most normal every day users don't have to worry about it it's a 3rd party provided content we're not in any danger or trouble using it

even the ones that are the videos taken in theaters it's the providers liability

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi, just bought two minis, and have installed IP vanish VPN.

I generally have very high 5G wireless speeds. With the VPN disconnected, I'm routinely getting speeds of over 180 Mb per second on the boxes. Once the VPN is connected, though, this drops to somewhere between 10-15 Mbps. Wow.

I generally connect to a nearby server (I'm in New York City), and I've tried changing the settings within the IP Vanish app, but can't seem to break that 15 Mbps barrier. While I know that speed is fine for HD streaming, it's frustrating to have a high-speed connection completely obliterated by the VPN.

Any advice? Suggested settings? Thanks in advance…
Hi

I would advise you to contact IPVanish directly regarding their services and speed on their servers that they can provide.

Regards

B

BarleyH

IP Vanish vpn sucks. I have used it and I discard their entire yearly plan. Their vpn has this speed choking thing and their IP leaks are pathetic! Worst VPN to use.

marcstck

May 8, 2017
Switched from IP Vanish to Private Internet Access VPN. Much cheaper and connection speeds much faster. Seven day window to get my money back, so I will continue to assess…

Reactions: sean99
B

BarleyH

I haven't tried PIA though. Can't say about it. But there are quite a few top tier vpns that are actually good, some of them are pricey and some of them have very economical bundles.