Decimo

Nov 25, 2016
I just purchased the T-8 mini over the T8-S Plu mainly because I was worried about the processor being able to upgrade to future versions of the Android Operating system.

I also purchased the DroidBox i9 Keyboard TouchPad also. Both purchases were made on Amazon so I will leave reviews for both. I should receive both items in 2 days.

1. Will the T-8 mini work with my Logitech c920 webcam? In case I decide to use it with Skype.
2. Will the T-8 mini be upgraded to Android 6.0 anytime soon?
3. Is is possible to boot from USB with say something like Ubuntu?
4. Is is possible to erase Openelec and install something else there?
5. Could I make a Private Share on my network that only the DroidBox would pick up? We have a Roku and Fire Stick on the same network. I just don't want them picking up any shares I make.

I brought this mainly for Kodi and to replace my desktop based web browsing. I do have Amazon Prime and a Fire Tablet so I can just use that to push any Prime material via the Screen sharing I guess. These 2 purchases along with a projector I just brought will go into my Man Cave setup.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Answer to q4. There is an official droidbox ota update for the t8 mini which will replace openelec (15.2) with librelec (16.1) if you choose to run it.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Plus many amazon prime shows (e.g. grand tour) make their way to kodi within 24 hours or so

Decimo

Nov 25, 2016
I have answered the first question. The T8 Mini does indeed work with my Logitech c920 webcam. Just plugged it in and it works fine. I have not worked with Kodi yet because I am testing out other apps first.

I really like the DroidBox i9 Keyboard TouchPad also. It came in the mail this morning while the T8 mini came a little over an hour ago. I have already tested the DroidBox i9 Keyboard TouchPad on my PC and the T8 Mini. So far I like it a lot more than using a regular remote/keyboard and mouse. The fact that it's also rechargeable is a big plus too.

Reactions: David Savage

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
1) Worth having a search around, as some topics are covered already.
I've added T8 Mini and C920 to https://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/usb-webcams-can-you-help.338/

2) One of the devices most likely to receive a Marshmallow update first, HOWEVER, will require certain files to be released by Amlogic (manufacturer of some of the main chips inside the T8 Mini) first, for work to start.

3) Effectively triple booting (but using internal storage for two OS, and then SD (more likely than USB) for 3rd OS) isn't something we officially support.
If your warranty isn't important to you, you may find others have already worked out how to do this. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...-flash-drive-using-balbes150-method-and-files would be a good place to start your RESEARCH. Please note DroidBOX would not recommend using non-official firmware, and that thread is for a different device that uses the same S905 chipset, so you will need to find out from the thread starter over there if it could cause problems on other devices.

4) Should be possible, but again, see 3), not supported or ever recommended, nor something experienced with here in this forum, worth reading around over at freaktab for info on this

5) If sharing FROM the DroidBOX, see https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/network-sharing-local-storage-for-kodi-and-dbmc/ and when you get to the "Manage Shares" section, DISABLE guest access, and set a new username/password for the share.
If you're sharing from a NAS or Windows based device, same principle applies - set a username/password for the share, then ONLY enter the correct user/pwd on the DroidBOX. Other devices will see the share's name, but not contents (without user/pwd being entered).