EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Last week, during a search on Kodi (15.2) my T8 suddenly blocked (frozen). There was nothing I could do anymore. No response with my remote at all. I've waited a long time, but the black screen remained. I powered off my T8 (perhaps this wasn't the right thing to do, but what else could I do ? any suggestions), and unpleasant surprise : my configuration was completely deleted (no Wookie anymore). It took a long time to set it up again. I said to myself : this won't happen again. My question is : what is the best way to backup and to restore the Kodi configuration ? Can someone give me a good tutorial (or vid) on this subject ? Tnx.

Reactions: Nigelar

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Hello EricB,

After installing new version of Kodi you need to reinstall wizard inside Kodi or XBMC. Regarding black screen issue you can check your storage.
From home screen go into settings>other>more settings>Apps. After clicking on Apps at the bottom of the screen you can see how much memory is being used and how much is left and if memory is almost full then you can follow the below video to resolve your issue:

Also you can follow the below link to backup and restore Kodi:
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-backup-and-restore-xbmc-kodi/

Hope it helps you out.

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Hello EricB,

After installing new version of Kodi you need to reinstall wizard inside Kodi or XBMC. Regarding black screen issue you can check your storage.
From home screen go into settings>other>more settings>Apps. After clicking on Apps at the bottom of the screen you can see how much memory is being used and how much is left and if memory is almost full then you can follow the below video to resolve your issue:

Also you can follow the below link to backup and restore Kodi:
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-backup-and-restore-xbmc-kodi/

Hope it helps you out.

Great answer. Tnx. I will give this a try in the next days. If any problems, I will come back to you.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Last week, during a search on Kodi (15.2) my T8 suddenly blocked (frozen). There was nothing I could do anymore. No response with my remote at all. I've waited a long time, but the black screen remained. I powered off my T8 (perhaps this wasn't the right thing to do, but what else could I do ? any suggestions), and unpleasant surprise : my configuration was completely deleted (no Wookie anymore). It took a long time to set it up again. I said to myself : this won't happen again. My question is : what is the best way to backup and to restore the Kodi configuration ? Can someone give me a good tutorial (or vid) on this subject ? Tnx.
Hi

Please take a note that sometimes only skin breaks and whole add on selection can be found in videos>add ons and music>add ons.

Regards

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Using the backup addon in Kodi is a safe option. Make sure in the addon settings though you select the path that you will remember for the backups to be stored. This, depending on how you've customised Kodi can be a large file! I have one at 1gb! Also take note, when you've made your backup, go into file manager in Kodi, on one pain search for where your backup is located, on the other pain go into the profile directory (make sure in Kodi main settings that view hidden and system files is turned on) in the profile settings folder pain in Kodi you should see a guisettings.xml file, copy that to where your backup is located.

When you restore your back up, install the skin that you configured to you customisation and notice no settings have been applied. Exit Kodi, then use esfile explorer, locate the guisettings xml where you made your backup save directory, copy that to the Kodi directory located on the android box, again make sure the view hidden files is set to view in es. Exit es then load Kodi and it will run from that xml file.

Sorry if the post doesn't fully make sense, just done a night shift. If you need more help let me know.

I know from experience not copying that xml file can be a pain.

Edit to add, another option in Es file explorer copy the whole Kodi directory to an external device, HDD, SD card etc. Again be aware that this could be a large file!

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
Using the backup addon in Kodi is a safe option. Make sure in the addon settings though you select the path that you will remember for the backups to be stored. This, depending on how you've customised Kodi can be a large file! I have one at 1gb! Also take note, when you've made your backup, go into file manager in Kodi, on one pain search for where your backup is located, on the other pain go into the profile directory (make sure in Kodi main settings that view hidden and system files is turned on) in the profile settings folder pain in Kodi you should see a guisettings.xml file, copy that to where your backup is located.

When you restore your back up, install the skin that you configured to you customisation and notice no settings have been applied. Exit Kodi, then use esfile explorer, locate the guisettings xml where you made your backup save directory, copy that to the Kodi directory located on the android box, again make sure the view hidden files is set to view in es. Exit es then load Kodi and it will run from that xml file.

Sorry if the post doesn't fully make sense, just done a night shift. If you need more help let me know.

I know from experience not copying that xml file can be a pain.

Edit to add, another option in Es file explorer copy the whole Kodi directory to an external device, HDD, SD card etc. Again be aware that this could be a large file!

I've tried the backup of Kodi on my laptop (I was afraid to do it on my T8, but it is the same procedure). First I did the backup with the backup addon, but it gave no good result (I run the Wookie retro with the Confluence Custom Mod, but the restore gave me a completely different skin although it was the Conf Custom Mod. A really bad skin, Virgin, no IPTV and so on). Second, I copied the whole Kodi directory to an SD card, pasted it, but it didn't worked, it gave me a clean Kodi (perhaps I did something wrong, I don't know). It drove me crazy. Third, I did again the backup with the backup addon, but as you wrote, I copied and pasted the guisettings.xml file. And the miracle happened : everything (settings, addons, skin ...) was restored beautifully. This is certainly the right way to backup. I haven't tried this on my T8, but this should also work fine I guess. Thanks a lot, you made my day. I owe you one (or two). ;)