rchads89

Oct 19, 2015
looking at getting a T8 not decided yet if ill go for the t8 open or the t8 mini, ill only be using the box for kodi nothing else.

I currently have a M8 box and with kodi you have to manually update it and its on the main screen. Then start a fresh and manually build the repo's and install which addons I want ( thats how I like it not into these ready builds ).

How does kodi work on this box do you still have to manually update and start a fresh or does it do itself and where do you run kodi from the main android screen? or on openlec?

Thanks

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
On droidboxs you get kodi and there version which is DBMC. They are basic and you choose to either do your own build or run a wizard.
In kodi you highlight updates in setting and add-ons update them selves.
Others outside kodi are done on the OTA updater when they are needed or on the Play store. If you add your own like Mobdro or Showbox they update them selves to.
The T8 mini also has openelec which is a nice touch and runs very smooth.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Nigelar

rchads89

Oct 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply David, Yeah the addons update through kodi etc but kodi itself when theres a new verison does the DBMC auto update kodi itself or do you have to do it through the website on kodi.

Yeah im not sure which one to do for yet T8 mini or the T8 open. Im not sure at all what the openelec does im used to just dealing through android.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Basically kodi or DBMC runs on the android side and run great, but if you have a lot of apps running in the background then this can slow kodi down.
Openelec is its own system separate to android and when you switch it shuts down and reboots in to openelec. This mean kodi runs nice and smooth and no background apps slowing you down.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Also you can set two different builds, like if you have kids then set one side for them knowing they cant say watch more Adult content. The other for everything else....
Hope this helps you and the T8-S plus box has space for a HDD and 32GB of storage.

Reactions: sblabs

rchads89

Oct 19, 2015
Basically kodi or DBMC runs on the android side and run great, but if you have a lot of apps running in the background then this can slow kodi down.
Openelec is its own system separate to android and when you switch it shuts down and reboots in to openelec. This mean kodi runs nice and smooth and no background apps slowing you down.
That's good - so on each os systems kodi the program itself does it update to latest version like 16.1 or do you have to do that yourself. Thanks

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
No that's normally done in the OTA updater, although you can do DBMC in the droidbox Market.
Openelec is done in a OTA update when a version is stable, at the moment droidbox are testing openelec 16.1 and might be available soon.
So with droidbox you are always up todate.
I've been droidbox a long time now and at 1st I needed help and got great support which is important too.

Reactions: sblabs

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
You could if you want to is also down load kodi from the Play store which auto updates apps. Although on lollipop you have to go into Play store and update them yourself.
Plus last thing is the next version of kodi will only work on lollipop and above..up to now anyway.