Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
Hi there, I've got a problem with Libreelec on my T8-S Plus V2. And it's to do with the wifi. When using the Android side of the system, my wifi is absolutely spot on, full speeds. Yet when I switch to Libreelec, the wifi speeds are so low as to render it unusable. I'm talking 2mb down and similar up.

I've tried a factory reset of the whole box, along with resetting of Libreelec too, and to no avail. So basically I can't use Libreelec.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Ta.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Don't remember seeing one like this before. Do you have any neighbours who are friendly enough to let you use their WiFi for a test? Would like to see if connecting to a different modem/router/AP makes any difference to the LibreELEC WiFi speed.
If that isn't possible and you own a smartphone, turn on the phone's WiFi HotSpot feature and try that instead (just don't forget to disconnect it/turn the HotSpot off afterwards).
I'm assuming you've already tried just rebooting your modem/router?

Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
Don't remember seeing one like this before. Do you have any neighbours who are friendly enough to let you use their WiFi for a test? Would like to see if connecting to a different modem/router/AP makes any difference to the LibreELEC WiFi speed.
If that isn't possible and you own a smartphone, turn on the phone's WiFi HotSpot feature and try that instead (just don't forget to disconnect it/turn the HotSpot off afterwards).
I have done the reboot of my router yeah. But no unfortunately I don't know my neighbours so not an option. I'll give that hotspot a try this evening though and see if that works. It's a very strange phenomenon I must admit!

Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
In actual fact, I've just remembered something else I did yesterday too. As well as connecting to libre by wifi, I then connected it up to my Sky Q mini box (this is all in an upstairs bedroom, but literally just above the actual room where the modem is, so probably only around 2 or 3 metres away from the modem but with a ceiling inbetween), via an Ethernet cable, as, I'm not sure if you're aware, but a Sky Q Mini acts as a wifi hotspot. And at first, the speed when right up to normal. But then a few hours later it was back down to it's paltry 2mb/s. So it does seem like it could be a libreelec issue. I'll keep trying tonight though and let you know if I can find anything else out. I've actually got 2 droidboxes so i'll double check to make sure all the settings are the same on both.

Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
I had the chance to look at it again over the weekend, and it seems it's sporadic. There were times I went on and it was fine, and others the speeds were right down again, but fine on android. I'm just gonna stick to using android on it for now, and go back in a few weeks, see if it's resolved itself.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Thanks. When you are checking the speeds on both devices with the speedtest app or addon, could you try one on Android and then after with LibreELEC after to see if there is any difference around the same time. It may be congestion on the service at popular times in the evening for example, so this may help track down a cause.

Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
Thanks everyone, but it's been fixed. Turned out, it was a problem with my router because other devices started doing the same. Router was replaced and everything is OK again now. Thanks again.

Glendvd

Jan 15, 2017
I'd like to re-open this discussion again if possible please. I'm having the same problem again. Really low speeds on Libreelec, but perfect speeds on Android. And it's not sporadic anymore, it's constant. On both of my droidboxes, one of which is upstairs, away from the router (but just in the room above), and the other is literally sitting next to the router, and both are doing the same. Really low libreelec speeds, buffering etc. However, I must add, that when I use a vpn via openvpn, I get my speeds right the way back up again (not full obviously with using a vpn but in the high 30s/40s). Would this suggest to anyone that my isp is blocking/throttling Kodi?

Having said that however, it doesn't cause any issues using Kodi on android.

Plus, one more thing. The downstairs box is connected via Ethernet, and when connected via Ethernet, my speeds on libreelec are fine, but as soon as I turned it onto wifi (to test the issue I was having), low speeds, same as the upstairs box which is also on wifi.

Cheers.

Last edited: