ian maddox

Aug 16, 2014
Got my imx6 working well with streams HD playing well no buffering etc. I sometimes find the box can be slow n sluggish plus will freeze from time to time. Woukd getting the T8 be able to solve these niggly issues.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi again Ian, I have a imx6 and run Frodo 12.3 Linux build and its still running well, but it no way near as good as T8 and T8s. I also own both of them as well and yes I still get problems with streams, but that more down to servers.
Its hard to choose between T8 and the T8s as they are the same, but the T8s has openelec and a internal bay for a HDD.
Openelec is a stripped down version of Kodi and for it to work it has to reboot and shut down all if the android side of the box . So now all the power is for this so it runs smoother and I think better as its part if my home cinema set up.
Hope this helps and yes things have change with the wizard, but that was just out of droidbox control. Although I've just had 4 days getting my box back for an update so not doing that for awhile.

Dave

ian maddox

Aug 16, 2014
Thanks dave . My imx6 is running well with kodi 14.1 helix. No issues on the box side bit it does freeze up from time to time. Hoping with thr t8 that as its alot more powerful this wont happen. Decisions decisions. Does the t8 s come fully loaded with repos or do i need to add them myself .

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Yes the T8 is more powerful, but as you can see from this forum it to can run into problems. My box has been great and its only been my T8s witch I had an issue with an update.
As I understand now droidbox are now not using a wizard, you have to run the wookie wizard witch is fine, plus you should be able to add your own. Also out if Kodi there pre-installed apps and droidbox market witch is full of more apps to add. Plus you can always add more again.
Here's the a link to the box and while your here check out the T8s, that the one I prefer. Hope this helps and enjoy your imx6.
https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-t8-amlogic-s802.html

Dave

Reactions: ian maddox

27mark

Aug 10, 2015
ive been having a play about with the t8 s in andriod and openelec, the first thing i noticed was ram usage, its a fair chunk lower with openelec

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
27mark, I find openelec is better as its shuts down everything in the back ground so runs better and is great with the HDD. You can set the one in android side (Kodi 15.0) for kids, and switch to openelec for a more Adult content. I have mine connected to my Oppo blu-ray player and then my amp sounds great. I've own both and they are both good, the only down side is the wifi is not very good if your router is far away.

Dave

Kendalld77

Aug 12, 2015
How do you root the T8s? As I need to do it to use openelec with a VPN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kendalld77

Aug 12, 2015
How do you check?
Also this goes against what was said in an earlier droid box post.
I don't think mine is as it won't let me add tun ko

Kendalld77

Aug 12, 2015
This was the post that suggest the T8 is not
Staff Member
Hi again James. The T8s come not rooted (some apps don't allow rooted devices), however I've just tested a simple rooting procedure that seems to have worked.
You need to download s89_root_update.zip from the first post here - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread....-S89-quot-Stock-ROM-quot-Easy-Root-ZIP-update . If you can't the link there, you may need to register at the forum first.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
I think if you go to Apps (6dots) on the main boot up menu, then go to the SuperSU its near the the bottom and click on this. If you have to give permission to any program's like Kodi, openelec it means its rooted.

27mark

Aug 10, 2015
i paid for mine off amazon and the advert states its rooted, thats if the information is correct of course