Ian Russell

Oct 8, 2015
I cannot decide on these two boxes, is openelec much better than android kodi is the main question.
Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
OpenElec is a lot smoother as when you switch over to it, it shuts down all back ground apps so only Kodi is running.
This means better performance in Kodi, but as with any other boxes you can buy you can still get errors, but that's down to the Add-ons or Repos being down on having maintenance.
The T8s is a good all round box and is worth a look, you also have a bay for a HDD.

Ian Russell

Oct 8, 2015
With regards to the T8s is the s802 a good choice for running kodi or is the s812 a better chip. I do not need 4k only 1080p, so would the s802 suffice.

Thehip1

Oct 10, 2017
I’m using a MINIX NEO-X8H-PLUS. It’s been freezing constantly so I followed online advice and did a factory reset.
It ran on 4.2 and I learned it should be updated to 5 so that I can run Kodi 17.3. I’m now trying to rebuild it, but I’m unable to do so. I tried loading firmware ATV1900, I was able to find what seemed like a good file and when I tried uploading it from an SD it told me ‘footer is wrong/ abort’. Son I’m unable to update the firmware, which means I can’t even get started.

Can anyone help??

Thx

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
According to minix's own user forum it is not possible to update this machine successfully to android 5. That is consistent with all machines which use the Amlogic s802 processor including older boxes supplied by Droidbox (this is their user forum btw).
There are several Kodi forks which provide Kodi 17 type functionality though, CEMC from Google play store, FTMC from freaktabs and Mygica from entertainment box. I run the former successfully on an older box.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I’m using a MINIX NEO-X8H-PLUS. It’s been freezing constantly so I followed online advice and did a factory reset.
It ran on 4.2 and I learned it should be updated to 5 so that I can run Kodi 17.3. I’m now trying to rebuild it, but I’m unable to do so. I tried loading firmware ATV1900, I was able to find what seemed like a good file and when I tried uploading it from an SD it told me ‘footer is wrong/ abort’. Son I’m unable to update the firmware, which means I can’t even get started.

Can anyone help??

Thx
Hi

Only for running official releases of Kodi v17 you need android 5,otherwise you can use non official releases that are on par with official ones.Please take a look at:
https://droidboxforums.com/threads/kodi-17-on-android-4-4-devices.9707/

Regards