Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
Hello.
I just bought a T8S Plus Gamers Edition 3 weeks ago. I have just noticed in the add for the Gamers Edition today it says T8S Plus V2 with Android 6.
I have just looked at mine and typically it's a V1 with 5.1.1 [emoji15] [emoji15]
Should I have received a V2 and have I just been given "old" stock. Feeling slightly irritated [emoji51] [emoji51]
If only I'd have waited a few days [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G935F using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I got mine two weeks a go and was pleasantly surprised to get a ver 2. Apparently they'd only had them for two days so I was lucky.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I'm not sure. Check out the website it should tell you.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
The returns period is 2 weeks ... looks like I've just missed that boat.
I doo feel slightly pissed off about it to be honest .. If id known a newer model was just away to come out I'd have waited a week .

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
Can understand why you'd be pissed off. Maybe contact customer support and see what they can do?

If it makes you feel any better, I've had my v1 for almost 12 months now and it works as well now as the first day I got it. It's a phenomenal box and you will enjoy it.

See what they say but if you end up with the V1, you've still got one of the best boxes available on the market today.

Reactions: Minkbomb

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I was researching on internet about these two boxes V1 and V2 today and found these details.

The model V1 has a Amlogic s812 processor, where as the model V2 comes with Amlogic s905 processor.

s812 is a 32 bit processor, Quad core Cortex A9 @ 1.99 GHz and has a GPU of Octa-core ARM Mali-450MP .
s905 is a 64 bit processor Quad core Cortex A53 @ 2.02 GHz and has a GPU of Penta-core ARM Mali-450MP.

In benchmarks s812 scored more than s905 and is slightly faster.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/29/amlogic-s905-vs-s812-benchmarks-comparison/

Model V1 with s812 is shipped with android 5.1.1 and this is the last android update this box ever gets. It will never get the android 6 version.

Model V2 with s905 is shipping with android 6.0 and has an opportunity for further upgrades, even-though it is slightly slower than s812.

The new Kodi 17 krypton works on android 5.0 and above. So we all can upgrade to the recently released Kodi 17, which is a major overhaul on Kodi 16.1 (what we have on our boxes). But the next upgrade of Kodi 18 "Leia" may only work with android 6.0 and above and the V1 boxes will be obsolete by then.

So my advice to all the new buyers of these boxes. Wait till you get the V2 and avoid buying V1 box.

Now hear my sad story.
I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and I have upgraded to the Droidbox T8-s plus with twin remotes from a old defunct WDTV. Before I bought the box from Amazon, I have gone through the specs of various boxes and found that the T8-s is a good buy. It is solidly built with additional option of attaching an internal HDD. This was one of the strong reason for selecting this box. In the last week of December '16 Amazon US was selling this box for around $110-112 or so.

There is no way I can buy directly from Amazon being out of US, so I told my son in New Jersey, US to buy this box for me in first week of January '17 and send it over through one of my friend coming from California, US. For some reason the seller "Droidbox US" has hiked the price to $140 by the time my son placed the order.

I was monitoring this box on Amazon and sometime during 10th Jan '17, another seller has started selling this box for $105 which is a hugh drop of $35. By this time my friend in California has already received the box. It was complicated me being in Saudi Arabia, my son in New Jersey and my friend in California. I could not return the box.

I felt very bad about the seller "Droidbox US" exploiting me with a higher price. I received it through my friend on 22nd January '17, and have compromised and and started using it. The box is good and faster than my old WDTV. I thought I could use it for at-least 4 years before upgrading to another one.

Today I found out that Droidbox is coming out with the new V2 box with upgraded specs which I could have used it for more years. Anyway that is life...

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Better the devil you know, I have a T8 box working perfectly on Kodi 16.1 and will still work for years to come. Am currently running my 15.2 build on droidbox go projector running kitkat 4.4. Your devices will still work for as long as you want them to, I sold an x7 15.2 kodi a year ago to a friend and that is still running fine to this day. Technology is always moving forward and is the way of the land. Why everyone wants to upgrade boxes and os's all the time is beyond me, if the box you have meets your needs stick with it.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I'm with Sean.
I've got an eko jumbo acoustic guitar bought in 1974 (that's right, it's nearly 43 years old) which I play everyday. It still plays well.
Mrs Nigelar has my old iPhone 4. It still makes calls and she can use the Internet on it.
My phone, lg G3 is over 3 years old.
If I believed all you guys there would be a mass bonfire of old technology in mr nigelar's garden as I barbecue the last 5 years of technology.
Does anyone actually use these devices for their primary purpose i.e. Watching movies, catching up on tv, listening to Spotify etc?