Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
Hi all,

Noob alert...

I am looking into the Droid box and am interested in the T8-S Plus Gamer's Edition.

Would I be able to dump my Sky box and still the normal channels i.e. BBC1, 2 etc etc

Is it plug and play for a noob like me?

Thanks,
Steve

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
If you are using a normal tv (as opposed to a monitor), your tv will still be the main source of terrestrial or free view channels. However, you can get streaming versions of terrestrial channels via native android apps like BBC iplayer, itv hub and apps like tvcatchup.

A sky subscription gives you guaranteed access to their portfolio of channels. This is particularly true of sports.

Plug and play? Well, not quite. This is true of all android tv boxes, not just those supplied by droidbox. There can be some frustrations. However, there are plenty of guides, you tube instruction videos, how-tos out there. Plus if you buy a Droidbox you get access to this user community who I have always found helpful and willing to offer advice especially to new users.

So in conclusion, if you are going to buy an android to box, then there are few better than those supplied by Droidbox.
I cannot speak specifically for the gamers edition as I don't use my box for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
Hi Nigelar,

Many thanks for your reply.

Where we live we get NO terrestrial signal at all and have had to reply on Sky TV to get anything.

I just wondered if I would be able to receive the standard channels, BBC, ITV, etc.

Sounds like the Droid box would be a good add-on to receive extra channels, but not a complete replacement for Sky TV.

So can anyone tell me what the difference is between the T8-S Plus v2 Gamer's Edition and the T8-S Plus v2 LibreELEC please apart from the remote/controller that comes with the gamer's edition. What is LibreELEC?

Are the boxes the same?

Thanks again.

Steve

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
http://kodi.wiki/view/LibreELEC
So a second separate operating system, tuned to just process Kodi (nothing else running).

As far as I can determine from the published spec, the t8s plus v2 gamers edition comes with a gamepad controller. The basic underlying machine is the same.

Btw If you have a sky satellite dish, you can connect a freesat box to the satellite dish to receive free view channels (I did this for my mother who lives in an area where the terrestrial reception is bad).

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
The LibraELEC is part of the T8-S Plus. It's a duel boot box. So if you choose to boot into LibraELEC, then this is a kodi only environment operating system. Alternatively you can boot into android for other Android functionality.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Paffman

Feb 3, 2017
OK, so I can't the standard channels with this.

I have had a play with Kodi on my laptop and struggled to add-on to get anything to work. Do I assume that if I buy the T8-S Plus, will all the basic dd-ons will be already loaded and what will a be able to see/hear?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
No @Paffman the box will not come with addons preinstalled as they have to be installed by the users.

Last edited by a moderator: