ian maddox

Aug 16, 2014
This happened to me a lot before but now if it happens I power down my BT home hub for two mins. Reboot and droid box works like a charm. Just a tip folks.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
This does help, also changing the routers channel to a higher one to, can help.
To do this you will need your router setup manual. Also password and username and IP address to get into the routers setup menu.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
What can happen is when you reboot the router it can switch to another channel. If someone close has the same it can interfere or cause low speeds or buffering.
I've got Sky and never had problems until a few months ago. My speed went down to 1mbps , I called Sky and they said it was a bad cable witch it wasn't. That's when I found that my router was on Auto, so I got into the setting and selected a channel (say 8) and tried again. My speeds went back to 12 Mbps, so it might help if you start having problems.

Dave

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Minor adjustment to advice above...

It isn't a HIGHER channel you're looking for necessarily, but a less congested/inteference prone channel (frequency). If everyone around you is on channel 6, then you could head down to channel 1 or 13. Some devices will be configured to only allow certain channels, you may need to let it know the country you're in, as different governement regulations apply in different countries.

If channel is set to Auto then the modem/router will try to find the best channel (for all devices connected) to use. However this can lead to some areas of the house having weaker performance.

Setting the channel manually allows you to tweak the range/shape of the area covered well by WiFi as different frequencies react/suffer with physical environments/signal blocking pillars etc.

The best approach would be to open up (well install, then open up!) WiFi Analyzer on your DroidBOX. Check which channels are empty. If possible, try to be 6 channels (2.4GHz, above also applies but with different numbers on 5GHz channels) away from anyone else. When you change the channel on your modem/router, check if you need to restart just the AP part of the modem, or completely reboot the modem. You'll sometimes need to specifically save changes first. Once you've found the channel which gives you the strongest signal, with the least amount of competing (neighbours') WiFi networks near it (in terms of channels) then you're done.

http://droidboxforums.com/threads/wifi-analyzer.83/

Reactions: David Savage