Gawain

Apr 10, 2016
Has anybody had playback problems with pixelation and screen break up when streaming 24hz content in OpenELEC ? in open elec I had terrible pixelation and frame rate problems , I tried changing the settings in kodi playback and set my tv settings in kodi to 60 Hz and set 'fallback Hz to 60 TV, and also set always on in in the refresh rate setting and nothing worked , it was a nightmare , my TV is a plasma I believe it does refresh differently to LEDs it could be a problem with OTT processing in the model if my TV but not sure because it's only happening in open elec . On most streams my TV seems to be reverting back to 1080p24 Hz even after I've set it in kodi to 60 Hz and 'fallback 60 Hz . 24hz streams just don't work virtually unwatchable . I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem in open elec . on some streams my TV will read 60fps with a good 2.3 pulldown to view the 24fps material but my TV is reverting back to 24p on most streams . I don't know what's going on , any help would be appreciated .

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you set openELEC to use 1920x1080 @ 50Hz, do 24FPS videos play a little smoother? Just wondering if having it closer to a mutliple of 24 helps. There do seem to be quite a few openELEC 24FPS playback forum threads across Google, on multiple platforms. Might be worth also temporarily disabling as many features that you can on your TV to see if playback improves.
If you've a second TV at home in another room, do you get the same issues on that one?

Gawain

Apr 10, 2016
Thank you for your reply and help , I will take your advice and try setting open elec to 50hz , I did actually manage to get some improvement (after days of fidfling ) I found a hardware exceleration setting , turning hardware acceleration on in open elec really improved things , I think plasma TVs refresh differently to led that may be why I've been getting more problems , I'll give the 50 Hz setting a try to see if I can make further improvements . thank you.