Afrowookie

Jun 4, 2018
Hello all,

I need help with trying to update my friends M8S Goobang Doo from 4.4.2 to Lollipop 5.1.1.

The former build # was M8S.BCM4335.201512011342, now it is M8S.BCM4335.201510131428 because I bricked it and restored it the current build.

The box says M8S but the board inside says"M8 V8_9 20151031. My biggest issue is I cannot seem to find a firmware for this box, I have tried about 6 different ones from different sources to no avail.

I have read a bunch of forums and watched videos all claiming they have the firmware and successfully upgraded their M8S's to 5.1.1 Lollipop. However when I follow their directions and using their firmwares nothing works, it either bricks box or just stalls it.

Can someone please help me with this especially with a proper 5.1.1 firmware.

The method mostly used to update was using the Amlogic BootCardMaker. I have tried once to use the USB Burning Tool method but I was getting an error loading the image, and seemed like the app wasn't seeing the M8S box.

Please help! Any would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
As this is the forum for boxes supplied by Droidbox, I have no experience of "goobang" machines.
However, a few pointers.
1. Some older processors are incapable of running android 5.1 successfully. I suspect this is the case with the Goobang box which you say is still running android 4.4.2.
2. However, it may be worth checking with the box supplier to see if they have a fully tested firmware update.
3. You may find a compatible firmware on the freaktabs site (I suspect the processor is an amlogic s8** one). But there is a real risk that the firmware will break something. Often WiFi, even if everything else seems to work.
4. I would recommend backing up the system before tinkering so you have a chance to restore if you brick the box.
5. Even though android 4.4.2 is old, I have it on one of my boxes and it does everything I need. You can get Kodi 17 forks like mygica to run on it, even though official Kodi doesn't.