devilman

Dec 4, 2015
I received my first Droidbox a couple of days ago (the power supply then arrived today!). The device itself runs nice and quickly and looks a good piece of kit. However, I'm getting extremely poor wifi speeds. Is this common and is there a fix? I've got other devices on the wireless network with no issues, so I'm a bit stumped. With the speeds I'm getting, the box is basically unusable.

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Hello,

Try to check the speed of your internet. Use Speed Test Application to test the speed of your internet and if it is below 5mbps then you need to up your internet speed.
Also try to connect your device to your Router through Ethernet cable and see how that works for you.

Regards...

devilman

Dec 4, 2015
I don't think it's my internet speed. As you'll see from the two screenshots, one is from my laptop and is nice and quick and the other is from the Droidbox and is virtually non-existent. Unfortunately I don't have an ethernet cable that will reach across the room, but I think there's something more fundamentally wrong as I've had other wireless devices (Chromecast, NowTV box, Mobie Dazzle etc) in the same place without any issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_195307598.jpg
    IMG_20151204_195307598.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 131
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 154

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Do you have the capability on this box to use a 5g wireless channel? Might be worth trying in case interference is affecting the default 2g signal.

devilman

Dec 4, 2015
Unfortunately, no I don't, although like I say, I've had plenty of other devices working in the same place just fine. Although just to try it, I made sure all other devices were unplugged and out of the way and I've tried a longer HDMI cable than the one supplied so I could move it away from the TV in case it was that, but the highest speeds I can get are 0.47 Mbps.

A little surprised to see that I can't play my Google Play Movies or use the All4 or Channel 5 apps. I'm guessing the box is rooted and these apps are detecting that?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I think you will need to set up a live support session on Monday to see if the droidbox engineers can help sort this out (unless admin come back to this thread over the weekend). There's a live support link on the main droidbox front page. In the meantime we can do a few things just to eliminate a problem with the box itself.

1. If you have a mobile phone can you tether to it and see if you can get a strong signal from that. Trying here to eliminate a distance problem.
2. Reboot the router or see if you can switch channels on the router to get a stronger signal.
3. Definitely try an Ethernet cable if you can.

See where that gets you plus a discussion with live support. There may be a firmware update they can recommend for example.

devilman

Dec 4, 2015
1) Tethering wasn't too bad... I was getting a 2-3mbps download
2) Changing channels doesn't seem to make a difference
3) With the aid of a long HDMI cable and stretching everything across the floor, I could just about make an ethernet cable reach and the speeds on that are great - same as the laptop. What I did after that was unplug the ethernet and go back to wireless, but leaving the devices about 7ft apart and with nothing between them and the download speeds then plummet back to 0.5 mbps, so at least it doesn't look like a distance thing, more of a wireless driver issue maybe.

Also, is there a way to 'un-root' these things?

devilman

Dec 4, 2015
Well I bought a couple of powerline adapters which has worked around the wifi issue. Now I just need to find a way to get Google Play Movies etc to work!