Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Hi
Has anyone had problems loading the Radioplayer App? I've tried via the Playstore and then again using the Droid Market and in both case I get the message Network error...the network is not currently available. You can either update the network settings or exit the app.
I have tried this over he past couple of weeks so I do not think it is truly a network issue.
Going to settings I am faced with establishing a portable Hotspot or VPN. I already use a VPN for other services but this does not resolve the problem.
The app works perfectly on my tablet.
Any ideas please?
Jim

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you let us know which model this is with @Jim Peacock please? We can then try using the app ourselves.
If you're using WiFi, try (temporarily) swapping to a network cable, and vice versa, if Ethernet is normally used, temporarily switch to WiFi and run Radio Player again.
We've had some applications not like using network cable-connected internet connection, as because it isn't WiFi, Android seems to class it along with 3/4G connections (metered).

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you for your quick reply. The model I am using is T8-S.
Good tip about Ethernet and wifi. I am connected using the cable as this seems more reliable for me when using Kodi. With the cable completely disconnected and wifi estatabllished the same error message is displayed when the app is activated.
Jim

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Same here, just installed it.

That Settings button in the Radioplayer message just takes you to the equivalent of the MORE section in Netowkrs, found in Android's Settings area (as in Settings>Other>More Settings>More ), so can be totally ignored.

No mention of this issue with recent reviews for the app.

OK, think you need to recheck when you switched to WiFi...

I switched from Ethernet to WiFi and RadioPlayer then worked fine. Switched back to Ethernet again, with Radioplayer not closed down.
Switched back to RadioPlayer, as soon as I clicked on a station I was informed with a toast notification that the network was not connected.
Switched back to WiFi again and Radioplayer was happy once more.

This seems to be an issue with the Radioplayer code, ethernet-specific. Running the app on my phone, switching off WiFi, 3G/4G access was fine (sometimes you'll find issues arise at same time when WiFi not being used, whether Ethernet or 3G/4G).

As a stop gap measure, you could try the web version at https://www.radioplayer.co.uk/ . If it forces you to the app, click the Menu icon in your DroidBOX's browser, and select the Desktop Mode option.

Couldn't see an obvious area on the site, but from the Play Store, they can be contacted via [email protected] , if you want to check if they've a fix coming for this.

Reactions: David Savage

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Just out of interest, exactly the same issue with bbc weather app. Works on wifi not ethernet. Wrote to them (bbc) but they dont intend fixing. Interestingly accuweather works on both. Think many apps are build for mobile only.

Jim Peacock

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your mail. I again followed you suggestions with using wifi and while my Droidbox said I was connected, when I went to the browser it showed I was not connected. I noticed on the settings page I had to also re-enter my wifi password which is something I never had to do before, the same when I reboot the Droidbox. Not certain if some software update changed this, or I have hit a key/button somewhere.
Anyhow, back to the Radioplayer issue, with wifi now in place it connected and worked perfectly. I then changed back to Ethernet and it continued to worked very well. I will check in the morning to see if I can connect ok via Ethernet or if I have to connect wifi first.
Thank you once again for helping to resolve this issue.
Jim

Reactions: David Savage