RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
Why is it, in this day and age, when tech gets cheaper and more progressive by the month, are we still only seeing 1GB/8GB and 2GB/16GB configurations as a whole?? Not just here but all over.

I mean, both are cheap and small enough to fit into anything, so why are we still getting underperforming specs in our Android boxes? I think in looking on ebay, i've only found a couple of 3GB/32GB boxes which sound more to what we should be getting, but they're Chinese and might not be as good as they sound. But it begs the question, if specs are where it's at with everything these days, then why haven't Droidbox and everyone else thought sod this, we'll do a 4GB or even 6GB/32GB option and put the other competition to shame, forcing people to choose their products instead of others, and help our boxes process everything way faster at the same time?? I'm not fussed for storage, 16GB would be fine, 32GB ideal, but i'd love to see 4/6GB of RAM absolutely.. Even if space was an issue internally, just make the boxes slightly bigger, and offset that with style.. I'm sure people would be happy with such a trade off..

If Krypton is out now, and applications will inevitably demand more processing power, then why are we still getting stuck with specs from all box manufacturers that aren't gonna keep up, or worse, start to struggle as time goes on.

Am i wrong here or is this a valid point?? I'd rather have a setup as listed above even if it meant paying a bit more, because i'd know then that my box would be ultra capable for a long, long while to come.

Reactions: barry

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
You have a valid point there. Yes we need better specs on our boxes. More RAM on the Droid boxes will definitely help in running the programs faster without any lag. They will also make them future proof for some more years.

For an example, three years ago my first son bought my wife a Asus Transformer tablet 300 10" size with 1GB RAM and 32GB storage space. Later on my second son bought me a Transformer 700 model with full HD screen but with same paltry 1GB RAM. These tablets were initially OK but later on became so slow that it was a pain to use the tablets. I have to use the crap memory cleaners often to free memory. Both of us got fed up with those tablets soon.

A year later I found a Sony Experia Z2 tablet 10" with 3GB RAM and 32 GB storage and bought it. It was really a pleasure to use the Sony compared to the Asus Transformers. There was no lag at all. I wonder why Asus has limited the memory to 1GB and now they are gathering dust in our cupboard. Both Asus Transformers have become redundant and useless.

Coming back to the two year old Sony Z2 tablet, it is still good and I continue to enjoy it regularly. I have also installed Kodi Krypton on the tablet and the experience is very good.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
The droidbox t8s plus v2 comes standard with 32mgs onboard with a internal drive bay 3.5 up to 2tb on new egg dot com 40 dollars us gets a 2tb refurbished 3.5 drive I have used refurbished drives for years in pc repairs without any problems

The droidbox is under 200 it's so to speak local uk it's local us its across the pond but I consider local compared to China constant firmware update support this forum you can submit error reports right from the machine to them try any of that with China boxes

Watch YouTube reviews on tv boxes i only back facts and technology and the technology is solid and the company is solid something that I can recommend

I worked at a retail store and got transferred from the pcs to janitorial lmao because I wouldn't recommend or support half of the junk that they sold lol go clean the toilets with the toothbrush naughty naughty

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Why is it, in this day and age, when tech gets cheaper and more progressive by the month, are we still only seeing 1GB/8GB and 2GB/16GB configurations as a whole?? Not just here but all over.

I mean, both are cheap and small enough to fit into anything, so why are we still getting underperforming specs in our Android boxes? I think in looking on ebay, i've only found a couple of 3GB/32GB boxes which sound more to what we should be getting, but they're Chinese and might not be as good as they sound. But it begs the question, if specs are where it's at with everything these days, then why haven't Droidbox and everyone else thought sod this, we'll do a 4GB or even 6GB/32GB option and put the other competition to shame, forcing people to choose their products instead of others, and help our boxes process everything way faster at the same time?? I'm not fussed for storage, 16GB would be fine, 32GB ideal, but i'd love to see 4/6GB of RAM absolutely.. Even if space was an issue internally, just make the boxes slightly bigger, and offset that with style.. I'm sure people would be happy with such a trade off..

If Krypton is out now, and applications will inevitably demand more processing power, then why are we still getting stuck with specs from all box manufacturers that aren't gonna keep up, or worse, start to struggle as time goes on.

Am i wrong here or is this a valid point?? I'd rather have a setup as listed above even if it meant paying a bit more, because i'd know then that my box would be ultra capable for a long, long while to come.
Hi

When it comes to the components such as RAM and ROM this goes mainly to the industry having mainly mobile segment in mind.

Regards

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
2.5" drive for the T8-S Plus v2 @SmokingElectronics

3Gb machines are likely to be more popular soon.

With regard to why don't DroidBOX put out higher specced machines in terms of RAM/ROM? The price. If we launch a model that costs us more to make, our price goes up. If our price goes up, UNTIL a lot of customers are specifically searching for 3Gb of RAM, they are more likely to buy the cheaper 2Gb model from a different supplier.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
Lol thanks @ChrisM duhhh I get them mixed up all the time

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod....5 ssd&page=7&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE SSD hard drives 15mgs 64mgs 120 on up below 90 dollars
Just 64mgs extra memory combined with the 32mgs on board 96mgs and you can tell kodi to write to the hard drive instead of memory and it runs faster bufers less runs good

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod... drive&page=7&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE

BUT I have a mxq pro 4k if you load it right it can be a rock solid box, libreelec 8 kodi 17. Only the list of addons @Nigelar gave me in a post i can find it if someone needs it

Too many add ons makes kodi run like crap and uses all the memory and can even corrupt the box . there is only a few simple addons you need to use and some extras that you need or want like i use comedy internet bloopers etc

For more advanced users use trakt it's a free account it's a tv and movie site that keeps track of your tv shows episodes new episodes one place collection of your movies and TV shows no more searching or complicated steps just find your show or movie add to collection done
You can search new tv series sometimes months before they come out just add them to the watch list instead of the collection to see if it works and is worth keeping
Some channels and shows on the trakt website are off channel's our boxes don't get but I don't find it allot exodus gets funky with it at times like i have removed tv shows and they won't stop showing up in the episodes screen nothing major

There's a episodes list that shows in one simple easy step all your tv shows new and one day ahead episodes

https://trakt.tv

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
I agree and would love to see 3Gb machine - especially Droidbox as I will not look at any otherboxes now after being happy with my T8 Mini and this forum!!!! I am not bothered about onboard storage as I have a nas linked up and I dont download to my Droidbox. 3GB would be the way forward I feel.
Trakt is a great service and I have only scratched the surface in the full use.
Dave

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Lol thanks @ChrisM duhhh I get them mixed up all the time

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=2.5 ssd&page=7&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE SSD hard drives 15mgs 64mgs 120 on up below 90 dollars
Just 64mgs extra memory combined with the 32mgs on board 96mgs and you can tell kodi to write to the hard drive instead of memory and it runs faster bufers less runs good

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=2.5 internal hard drive&page=7&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE

BUT I have a mxq pro 4k if you load it right it can be a rock solid box, libreelec 8 kodi 17. Only the list of addons @Nigelar gave me in a post i can find it if someone needs it

Too many add ons makes kodi run like crap and uses all the memory and can even corrupt the box . there is only a few simple addons you need to use and some extras that you need or want like i use comedy internet bloopers etc

For more advanced users use trakt it's a free account it's a tv and movie site that keeps track of your tv shows episodes new episodes one place collection of your movies and TV shows no more searching or complicated steps just find your show or movie add to collection done
You can search new tv series sometimes months before they come out just add them to the watch list instead of the collection to see if it works and is worth keeping
Some channels and shows on the trakt website are off channel's our boxes don't get but I don't find it allot exodus gets funky with it at times like i have removed tv shows and they won't stop showing up in the episodes screen nothing major

There's a episodes list that shows in one simple easy step all your tv shows new and one day ahead episodes

https://trakt.tv
Too many myths surrounding kodi on the too many addons and performance issue:- https://goo.gl/WploVB