Spirit

Apr 4, 2018
Hi guys

This is my first post so apologies if I have missed this info elsewhere.

Just set up my new T8 SE today ( replacing and old cheap box) and I am getting really bad speeds using 5ghz on my Asus RT-AC68U router. Done all the usual rebooting etc. Have a 200mbps Virgin connection and can only get speeds around 10mbps. The 2.4ghz network gives me around 50mbps. Surely this can't be right ?

For info the router is about 15ft away with one wall in between. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Pete

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
To get the best out of the 5ghz signal you need clear field of view with no intervening walls. Where there are barriers 2.4ghz is best as your numbers prove.

Spirit

Apr 4, 2018
The thing is I can connect my HTC 10 phone to 5ghz, put it right next to the box and hit nearly 200mbps ! My phone also hits 160+ Mbps at the furthest room in my house from the router

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
At the end of the day WiFi on these types of devices is never as good as on phones.
To get hd movies you need around 8mbps, so your speeds are good enough.
Faster would not make any difference.
At any rate, an ethernet connection is always better if you can use it

Reactions: sean99

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
As Nigelar says - Cable is always the best on these devices. I went to the extent ov feeding CAT6 under floorboards direct to the back. Perfect.

Spirit

Apr 4, 2018
Whilst I accept all the above points about Ethernet etc, the fact remains it should not be this poor. In fact, even the advert on the website for this box says

"The T8-SE comes with incredibly fast WiFi - 802.11ac to be precise. With speeds of up to to 150Mbit/sec and a 5dB upgraded Antenna, you easily have enough bandwidth available to watch BluRay discs over your home network and carry out other transfers at the same time in the background!"

This is meant to be a quality item, so I simply want to know if maybe I have a faulty device or do I need to change some settings somewhere?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
What speeds do you get on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz when the box is close to the router i.e. with clear line of sight?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Install WiFi Analyzer - https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/justice-or-equality/ - on your DroidBOX and check whether there are better channels to switch to on either frequency. Auto select on the router might do an OK job, but if you find one area and one device isn't performing as well as expected, switching your modem/router/AP to a different channel can help. Might want to then install the app on your phone (assuming it is an Android), and wander around your house, to double check the channel best for the DroidBOX doesn't have problems elsewhere in your house on other devices. If all seems fine, switch your modem/router/AP's WiFi config to the new channel, restart, and test the speeds again. Once you get around 25Mbps, you can stop, you'll not pull more than that from most public servers at least, see https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/why-your-droidbox-doesnt-need-more-than-a-25mbit-internet-connection/