Ding

Jan 8, 2015
Hi,

I'm thinking of trying out one of these boxes, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of channel lists?

Or put better can you receive terrestrial TV channels from Spain?

Ding

Jan 8, 2015
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking of getting this for my parents who are only after 2 free to air channels channels from Spain is there a box you would recommend and a simple how to set up... I see the T8 seems to be the box mentioned and yet I see issue with some Wizard released last year, would a box from here already be up to date, or is there some installing/updating to do.

Lots of questions sorry.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'll let Tony answer (he is a customer so his opinions are probably a little less biased!), but let us know which 2 FTA channels they are, and we can google around to see if any of the current XBMC add-ons provide streams for them, assuming the broadcasting company doesn't have have their own app.

Ding

Jan 8, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for replying, the 2 channels are

Andalucia (by canal sur)
Telecinco

both of which are free to air terrestrial channels in Spain.

The Andalucia satellite feed was cut off on Jan 1st and they'd lost Telecinco sometime ago...
So they are at a lose end without any Spanish satellite channels...

Any help would be appreciated.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
http://xbmcspain.com/foro/tema11.html seems to show Andalucia might be covered, but I've had less luck searching for Telecinco. My Spanish is very poor though. Assuming yours is better, it might be worth googling Telecinco (might they be known as Tele5, if cinco = 5?) and XBMC to see if you can make more sense of some of the sites.

Ah, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mitelelite&hl=en is an Android app, but I can't tell if it is catch up viewing or just an EPG/program guide. It looks like a simple enough program.

Ding

Jan 8, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for that, it all looks promising, what device would you recommend for my parenets?

And are they all fully loaded up and able to work out of the box? (i've been reading a bit about these devices now)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
In terms of ease of use, all our devices are pretty much the same - Android-based with XBMC being the main application people use in conjunction with add-ons. If I was "just" a customer, instead of an employee, but with the same knowledge, I'd probably purchase the T8 or X7 Ultimate. If your parents have or are likely to get a UltraHD (4K) capable TV in the next few years, then definitely the T8.
Our devices come pre-installed with the DroidBOX Wizard add-on for XBMC installed. This add-on installs around 80-90 add-ons in XBMC for you and tweaks things a little. If we supply our boxes with those 80-90 add-ons already installed then there are some legal and Terms and Conditions ramifications that come into play.

Ding

Jan 8, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for replying, I've now bought one of your T8 models (as it looked your website said it was easier for parents - on Amazon as it was cheaper...) oddly the quick start instruction guide points me at 3 YouTube Driodsticks vidoes(a different company)? But sadly they were of no help as the .zip file it talks about wasn't there... Luckily the forum helped me find where the DroidBox wizard was... (Under videos and then Add-on) and after switching all my parental security controls off (from MySky account on the web [not a setting in the router]) and then on 4th attempt after clearing the cache I no longer got script failure and the file just downloaded and installed. I then after a few minutes of add-on updates pulled the power cable out.... Waited 30 secs to allow unit to run out of power and on power up a wonderful new skin was installed when I went into xmbc media centre.

I then was a bit too hopeful when I saw the Spanish flag under World setting, sadly the FTA channels that you've helped me find weren't there, although a nice range other ones where.

I've a question if you don't mind, how do I install the xbmc add-ons you identified for me on this thread a few messages up?

Also what's the difference between the XMBC media centre and the Black X both on the main startup page...

Its taken me a while but I'm almost there and thanks for your help so far :)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
To install Android applications, open Google's Play Store app on the T8. If you've not used it before, https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/googles-play-store-signing-in-and-auto-updates/ runs you through the basics including allowing auto-updates.

To manually install add-ons in XBMC, first download the ZIP file (often linked to from the page you found describing the add-on) and put it on a USB device or memory card. Insert the device/card into your DroidBOX, then open XBMC. From here, click on the System menu (scroll to the right). Then follow these steps... Add-ons>Install From zip File>Root filesystem>storage>and then whichever device/card you plugged in>click on the ZIP file.

If you find an add-on and the description mentions it can be found in a certain repo(sitory) then open XBMC, then System>Add-ons>Get add-ons>Click the name of the repo>You may need to click something like Video add-ons now>Click the name of the add-on.

In either case, once installed, I tend to exit XBMC (use the power/standby icon in XBMC's homescreen, next to the icon of a star) and then open it again before trying the new add-on.

DroidSticks is a different company from us, but we do share some online resources.

Do dig through the rest of the add-ons for international channels, head to the Media Portal menu in XBMC to see all 80-90 of them listed.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Almost all apps you see will be either installed via the Play Store, or possibly linked an APK file that you need to open on your DroidBOX.
ZIP files are for XBMC add-ons (which are different from Android applications) that are not stored in a central repo(sitory), you download them then install them via XBMC's menus.

Regarding the VPN, last time I was outside of the UK and needed to use it, Hola had to be told which applications to hide your IP address from. As to which is best, experiment with the free/free for a certain amount of Mb per month ones first. Some people prefer Tunnel Bear (500 Mb per month for free, so great for testing) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tunnelbear.android&hl=en_GB - you may find it is already installed on your device, if so, try running the Tun.ko installer first.