EricB

Mar 12, 2015
In the display settings, the HDMI auto detection is on and it gives the Output Setting 720p60Hz. I have a Sony Bravia full HD TV (res 1920x1080). Should I then set my T8 to to the Output Setting 1080p60Hz ? Is this the best setting then ? Will there be any difference in the quality of the screen ? I think I saw somewhere on a vid that it eventually could stop the stuttering. Tnx for the advice.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Your best bet is to experiment and trust your own eyes. Try with a football game in hd (eg sheff utd v man utd). Note: some of the sources i tried for this game were actually stuttering. Nothing to do with the hdmi setting or tv i think, more to do with server load.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It won't help stuttering films in terms of buffering/audio drops, but it CAN provide a smoother video of moving objects if the server is fast enough. Go with the native resolution of your screen (1080 in this case), then experiment with the refresh rates shown, something like 24,25,50 and 60, depending on your TV. You may find some work better than others.
If a video is updated (for example) almost 30 times a second, but your TV is set to update 25 times a second, you'll find those "extra" five frames and the way they are interpreted can improve/detract, especially in panning or high action shots.

Auto HDMI mode relies on a TV correctly identifying which modes are supported, and which one is native. I'm not a coder, I've personally only ever cooked ROMs that are based on existing ones, but if the TV and DBx don't understand each other, setting it manually is never a problem, BAR ONE SCENARIO...
If you've turned off auto HDMI, set it to (for example) 1080@30, THEN plug the DroidBOX into a small (and probably old) TV that can only manage 720, you'll not get an image on the screen.
Solution here is to remember to set HDMI back to auto whilst still on the big screen.

Reactions: EricB

EricB

Mar 12, 2015
It won't help stuttering films in terms of buffering/audio drops, but it CAN provide a smoother video of moving objects if the server is fast enough. Go with the native resolution of your screen (1080 in this case), then experiment with the refresh rates shown, something like 24,25,50 and 60, depending on your TV. You may find some work better than others.
If a video is updated (for example) almost 30 times a second, but your TV is set to update 25 times a second, you'll find those "extra" five frames and the way they are interpreted can improve/detract, especially in panning or high action shots.

Auto HDMI mode relies on a TV correctly identifying which modes are supported, and which one is native. I'm not a coder, I've personally only ever cooked ROMs that are based on existing ones, but if the TV and DBx don't understand each other, setting it manually is never a problem, BAR ONE SCENARIO...
If you've turned off auto HDMI, set it to (for example) 1080@30, THEN plug the DroidBOX into a small (and probably old) TV that can only manage 720, you'll not get an image on the screen.
Solution here is to remember to set HDMI back to auto whilst still on the big screen.

Tnx for your clear and great answer !