JohnS

Nov 15, 2014
With the email from David at Droidbox the've finally (in a roundabout way) come clean that I was conned into buying their top of the range T8-S OpenElec 12 months ago for £100.
The email, referring to the Kodi 17.0 release, confirms it won't be able to run Kodi 17 because they can't upgrade the OS. Why didn't Droidbox say this in their advertising, rather than conning me it would be continuously upgraded via OTA.
This sails very close to mis-selling under the Trade Descriptions Act and stinks of a complete disregard of their customers.

DONT BUY FROM DROIDBOX

Sent from my T8S using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
I understand your frustration, but some things are out of droidboxs control. Plus this isn't just droidbox as my TV has a function to update and can't remember when I got a update for that......but it still works fine just like my T8-S. Yes it's not ready for krypton, but droidboxs DBMC 16.3 still works fine and so does kodi 16.1.
Plus all the other apps work fine so can't see this being miss-selling.
Plus all add-ons and apps get updates, and droidbox haven't ruled out a update if they get the relative files from the chip manufacturer. So let's hope they do and enjoy your box for now....
One last thing you say you've had your box for 12 months and have you used this forum or needed help before, because this is were most other companies fail..droidboxs customer care is top.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Absolutely right David.
Major firmware updates are totally in the hands of the chip manufacturers.
Who can sensibly predict what software a chip manufacturer will update in the future?
Would you put money on Amlogic providing a firmware update for their s9** series chips (the latest) to support, say, Android 7 or 8, in 12 months time?
I wouldn't.
If I buy a £800 TV or Phone today and in 3 months time, the supplier brings out a newer model with enhanced features do I start weeping and complain that the supplier should have told me or do I just accept that technology moves forward?
Your T8S will work for a long time yet.
I have an older T8 box and I can view any film or sports event that is available.
What more can I ask for?

JohnS

Nov 15, 2014
Whilst I take the points you both make in response , you are missing the main point I have tried to make.
One of the main reasons I bought this particular box was because it was advertised that it would be updated via OTA and as things stand plainly it won't because you can't. Other than the annoying weather widget, I've got no problems with the functionality of the box at present.

Sent from my T8S using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
The point is you are also saying about miss-selling, but your device still works fine...
If you bought a PS3 and then they released the PS4 which is better you can't then say or excuse them of miss-selling due to not being up to date even though the device you bought is as present up to date and is down to the company who makes the Chip set and not droidbox.
So if you said your box didn't work and you had no updates and no support then I would then say you had a point, but that's not true...

Regards

ian maddox

Aug 16, 2014
I've got t8s with open elec running helix 14.2 works a treat . Will there come a time where the add ons can't be updated . As for updating kodi I have no need as the box runs sweet at the moment .been very happy with it. Are droid box selling new boxes that kodi 17 operates on or is it the end of droidbox . Planning for the future .

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Droidbox are selling plenty of boxes (mxq pro v2, t8s plus v2, t8 mini) which are running android 5 or 6 which are the minimum spec for kodi 17.
Also for older boxes, look at ftmc advertised on this forum. It is based on kodi 16 and has some code included to ensure it will run addons as host providers move to more secure https certification (which is still some time away).

wes

Nov 6, 2015
I have sean99 but thats libreElec not openelec? So droidbox has switched to libreElec. I thought droidbox were waiting on openelec to release a secure update. But some were testing libreElec.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
The majority of the forum members have been using LibreElec for a while now with excellent results, I for one was not happy at all with the move from Openelec when dbx changed. I eventually took the plunge and installed it an update or so ago and have not looked back since. It is now my preferred os over android and gets used most days because of its stability. You should try it for yourself

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Ive always used firstly openelec and now LE. I wont use android as LE is in my own opinion way better with no bloatware.
I love it.

Reactions: wes

wes

Nov 6, 2015
Thank you, i will look around and have ago at installing libreElec myself. Yhanks wes